The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mattxOffline
Post subject: Arthur lee and love  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 - 05:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Neal, Forever changes is probably my favorite lp of that era, I could play that thing 24/7 and not get tired of it. That record seems so ahead of its time I just dont understand why it never really hit the main stream.?? I mean its not like today where all (majority) of great music is not top 40 unlike the 60's. Any inside insight on love?? would love to hear!!!

Reply with quote Back to top
HamYardieOffline
Post subject: RE: Arthur lee and love  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 - 06:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I wouldn't know, but I do know that there is a documentary on Arthur Lee and Love, made by the same folks who recently made a Mott The Hoople doc. I don't think it would be hard to find and it might shed some light ?

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Arthur lee and love  PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 07:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Personally, I think it didn't hit the mainstream because of what you said. It was ahead of the times.

It probably didn't help that Arthur Lee wasn't big on the idea of touring, so Love rarely played outside of the California area (if I recall correctly).

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Love Forever Changes  PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 07:15 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

There was one single from Forever Changes, "Alone Again Or" b/w "A House Is Not A Motel" (Elektra EK-45629, 1968). I don't recall ever hearing it played on the radio, and only first heard it after chancing upon a cutout copy (an edited version of the album cut, as I found out) a couple years later. Forever Changes was poorly promoted, and Love never was a 'mainstream' rock band, anyway, but more an acquired taste.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: Love Forever Changes  PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 10:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
There was one single from Forever Changes, "Alone Again Or" b/w "A House Is Not A Motel" (Elektra EK-45629, 1968). I don't recall ever hearing it played on the radio, and only first heard it after chancing upon a cutout copy (an edited version of the album cut, as I found out) a couple years later. Forever Changes was poorly promoted, and Love never was a 'mainstream' rock band, anyway, but more an acquired taste.

Didn't "Alone Again Or" get reissued a couple of years later? One of the two releases barely cracked the top 100, I think.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 11:46 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

MATTX

There is this sense of rock LPs all selling well in the ‘60s, especially if they were on a “major label.” Such was not the case.There is also a tendency to look backwards and see rather small companies that were later taken over/swallowed up by bigger companies as having been big all along. Such as Elektra. Such was not the case.

Until SGT. PEPPER, the 45s market and the LPs market were rather divided. Granted that the really BIG artists sold well in both areas (think Elvis, Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, etc.). But even groups like the Byrds failed to reach the Top 20 on the album charts after their first hits and Jefferson Airplane failed to make the Top 20 on the singles charts after their first hits.

Plus the record companies were clueless as to how to market SERIOUS rock albums: the first “modern” advertisement for a serious rock album was when Paul Williams placed full-page illos of LP covers in CRAWDADDY and the record companies thought their competition was paying for ad space in this teenyweeny magazine and started putting ads for ‘new rock’ albums by groups into CRAWDADDY and then ROLLING STONE.

Love never sold a lot of records: one Top 40 single and no LP that reached higher than #57 on Billboard. Regarding FOREVER CHANGES, one could just as easily argue that it is astounding that so good a record was recorded and released and sold any copies at all. 1966-69 was full of great ‘new rock’ singles and albums that didn’t sell, Love’s records among them.

Despite all the critical brouhaha laid on FOREVER CHANGES over the past twenty or so years, I am guessing that is still does not sell well . . .

Hope this helps even a weeeeee bit,

NEAL

PS Minority Report: For my taste, the first side of DA CAPO is the best Love there is, better than all of FOREVER CHANGES!

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 04:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

"Forever Changes" was recorded while most (if not all) band members were totally fupped-duck.
They all had drug issues (amazing how such a fantastic LP got released, if ya read the Goldmine story).

My fave tune is "Between Clark & Hilldale Or Maybe The People Would Be The Times"... ~sigh~

mattxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 06:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Neal,after I thought about it for a bit, you are so right about great 60's CA bands not making it to the radio and yes da capo is also great, I like "she comes in colors", always felt madonna ripped that off for beautiful stranger. Shady my fav cut from FC has got to be "you set the scene"!

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Love Forever Changes  PostPosted: Mar 11, 2013 - 11:45 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
Didn't "Alone Again Or" get reissued a couple of years later? One of the two releases barely cracked the top 100, I think.
You're thinking of "Alone Again Or" b/w "Good Times" (Elektra EKS-45700, 1970), which was issued to accompany the best-of (contractual obligation) compilation, Love Revisited (Elektra EKS-74058).

nealumphred wrote:
... For my taste, the first side of DA CAPO is the best Love there is, better than all of FOREVER CHANGES!
Could be; "7 And 7 Is" is a classic, and has been remade by a number of punk bands since the 1980s.

Jump to: