The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tw5270Offline
Post subject: From Memphis to Vegas Matrix puzzle...help!  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2012 - 09:19 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I recently picked up a nice copy of From Memphis to Vegas and I have been trying to identify the pressing. The best resource I have found that lists the matrix numbers and matching labels is : http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-6020-from-memphis-to-vegas-from-vegas-to-memphis/

My problem is my labels and matrix numbers are slightly different. What I have is as follows (all on Orange labels):
side 1 XPRS-2468-4s A3b
side 2 XPRS-2469 4s AIE (Words incorrectly listed as Tommy Boyce-Bob Hart and Suspicious Minds as Frances Zambon)
side 3 XPRS-2470-3s B1
side 4 XPRS-2471-3s AIF

All matrix numbers are "Hand Scratched"

All appear to be on non flex vinyl

As you can see the matrix numbers do not match the last letter/number code and the misprinted label?

Any one know what I have?

Reply with quote Back to top
tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: From Memphis to Vegas Matrix puzzle...help!  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 06:26 PM
Level 5
Level 5

34 views and no one knows. I was really hoping for an Elvis expert to know exactly what I have.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 - 11:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

With a mixture of -3S and -4S, you likely have a Rockaway pressing of the album.
You have the first label variation -- with the uncorrected author credits.

Nothing particularly interesting, but you DO have the first label.

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 - 12:08 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Yes the Dead Wax clearly has the R stamp opposite the matrix numbers for Rockaway. I know it's a first pressing but the matrix numbers don't match the known label variations. It's confusing.
I think the promo pictures are worth more than the LP as these are not often found with the album.

Oh, and thanks! I am still learning my way around price guides, matrix numbers, and label variations.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 - 10:26 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

TW5270

Twenty odd years ago, I spent HOURS on the phone with Joan Deary questioning her on the ins-and-outs of RCA Victor pressing plant patterns and habits (among other things, like how many colored vinyl promos were pressed for the posthumous singles and what was the story on ‘60s black label LPs on ‘dynaflex’-like vinyl . . .).

She essentially suggested that I throw all the guidelines out when it came to Elvis records, especially 1956-57 when demand was through the roof and the company had not figured out how to meet it. This applied somewhat to Elvis records in 1969-70, but to a lesser degree.

As for LP jackets: RCA often had HUGE quantities printed at once, knowing that what didn't sell in the first few months of an album's release would sell through the years. Consequently, many Elvis titles can be found with later pressing records in the first printing jackets.

As to the four photos issued with FROM MEMPHIS TO VEGAS: yes, they are much harder to find than the records or the jackets, all of which are easily found. But it is the complete original package that should be your goal: first pressing records with orange labels on non-flexible vinyl in a still-sealed jacket with the green sticker on the shrink announcing the inclusion of the bonus photos. Very hard to find . . .

Hope this helps some,

NEAL

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 11:17 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks Neal. I ended up selling this set to finance some other purchases but I am always on the lookout for cool titles like this when they are complete.

Jump to: