The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Sense  PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 - 12:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Over the years I've used Ebay's fee calculator many times, hoping to find that a store would make sense for me. But it never has, it has always been cheaper for a seller like me to take advantage of the free monthly listings plus the occasional listing specials.

I've always wondered why a store didn't come with a certain number of free monthly listings, and now they've finally done that. The cheapie $16-monthly store will give you 150 free listings (any combo of auctions and fixed) and the more expensive $50-monthly store will give you 500 free listings. Until now, 500 fixed listings would be $100. a month (20 cents each) through a store.

What's more, Ebay is making the fee for record sales for non-store owners 10% (auctions or fixed, and that's a fee hike for auctions). It's just 9% through a store, so that's another factor that makes stores finally competitive as far as I'm concerned. The store vs non-store calculator is here:
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeIllustrator.html

Reply with quote Back to top
tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Sense  PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 - 02:21 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Wow. Great catch.
I have avoided a store for the same reasons, never made sense for me because I don't always have auctions listed.
Maybe now I will set up a store.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Sense  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's those occasional listing specials that keep me from getting a store. And by occasional I mean at least once a month. If you do go with the store could you let me know if they still send you the listing specials? (I use them to bulk re-list, which has become invaluable) If they do I'd probably open a store, but if they don't I couldn't justify it. I found it rather interesting the way they mentioned the 1% increase just in passing as if it were nothing. Actually I think they even said something like, "and a convenient flat fee of 10%" or something.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Se  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

j_loop wrote:
I found it rather interesting the way they mentioned the 1% increase just in passing as if it were nothing. Actually I think they even said something like, "and a convenient flat fee of 10%" or something.

Even better - they said that, by making both the auction and fixed price 10%, they were "streamlining" fees. Nice of 'em!

The thing about the specials is that I fear that, in their stupidity, they'll kill 'em off. And they're being stupid because, at least for proven sellers, there should never be a listing fee - why would they do anything to discourage sellers from listing items that they'll keep a portion of? Ebay has always had a weird business sense, though; they don't seem to think it's at all counter-productive to treat sellers like crap.

HamYardieOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Mak  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 03:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't know who's in charge of ebay now, but a couple of years back the CEO. or whatever he is, more or less said outright that he wished they didn't have the flea-market type of business that they do. He wanted to gear it more towards an online discount store for new goods, with sellers selling large quantities of the same things. He felt there wasn't enough room for expansion in the used goods and collectables markets. I once asked a "professional" about buying several hundred dollars worth of stocks in a company and he told me if you're only talking hundreds, don't bother.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 03:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

HamYardie wrote:
I once asked a "professional" about buying several hundred dollars worth of stocks in a company and he told me if you're only talking hundreds, don't bother.

That's a different ball of wax entirely. There's nothing wrong with a couple hundred dollars worth of stock, but not if you buy it through a broker - the commission would be far too high a percentage of the total cost. For a fee of 9 dollars or so, you can complete any stock transaction though the discounters - ScottTrade, ETrade, etc.

AudioGasoline
Post subject: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Se  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 04:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

j_loop wrote:
It's those occasional listing specials that keep me from getting a store. And by occasional I mean at least once a month. If you do go with the store could you let me know if they still send you the listing specials?

I've had a store subscription for over a year, and I can tell you that you'll still receive the free listing specials (as long as they continue to offer them - they haven't said either way, but there's a lot of speculation going around). There are other, less frequent, free listing promotions that are only open to store subscribers, also ones for Top Rated Sellers (if you qualify). These are "invitation-only" and usually come to my personal email rather than through Ebay Messaging (like the open promotions do).

I was very glad to see some of these new changes, and will probably end up raising my subscription from Basic to Premium - not only is the 500 free listings worth it, but fixed price listings beyond that are 20 cents for Basic and 5 cents for Premium. I do mostly Fixed Price these days, and the FVF drop from 13% to 9% was really nice to see (basically a solid 33% savings).

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Se  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2013 - 07:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

AudioGasoline wrote:
There are other, less frequent, free listing promotions that are only open to store subscribers, also ones for Top Rated Sellers (if you qualify). These are "invitation-only" and usually come to my personal email rather than through Ebay Messaging (like the open promotions do).

Sure, I get those too, at my email - for "select sellers only". The most recent was the other day, on the 16th and with a three-day window starting then, offering free listings of 500 items (fixed or auction). I know that some of these offers stipulate that they're not applicable for store owners - I don't know whether there's others that say only good for store owners, maybe so.

AudioGasoline
Post subject: Re: RE: Ebay Raises Prices Yet Again; Stores Finally Make Se  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2013 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
I don't know whether there's others that say only good for store owners, maybe so.

There are, but not nearly as many as the promotions that are open to everyone. They're usually associated with big shopping seasons (Mom's Day, Dads & Grads, Back To School, Christmas...). Sometimes they're only for Auctions or only for Fixed Price, sometimes they're for both. No rhyme or reason, of course, but they do happen now and again.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

Jump to: