The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mmelv13Offline
Post subject: Slight warp/bump on outer edge of records.  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 12:26 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I've had a problem with 4-5 of my records lately where they seem to have developed a small bump or warp on the outer edge of the record. When I go to play the record, my stylus is going airborne over this little spot. It only seems to affect the first half inch or so of the record, as I can generally play the second, third, etc. tracks without any problems. Has anyone had this occur? What causes this? I store all of my records upright on a shelving system so I can't think of how it could be storage related. Any ideas? Any suggestion on how to fix this? One of the records is a relatively tough find, I'd hate to have to replace it.

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 02:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Strange Confused Were those records together at one place ? Did they come from the same source or are they just from random places ?

mmelv13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 05:07 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I keep them all on the same shelf, but they're aren't stored side by side. I keep my records alphabetized and the ones affected are all over the board. They are also from different sources. I have one record with the problem that started six months ago and another that i bought a month ago that just randomly started acting up. I'm completely stumped.

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Heat can cause your records to warp,keep away from heat.

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 10:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

disco poltergeist?

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2013 - 02:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sounds like heat. Are the shelves near windows with the sun shining or are they against a wall that has a heating duct running through it?

Also, are they all of the same label? If so, it could be bad pressings.

Jump to: