The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 - 01:05 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I'll keep trying.

If you only have a mic input (common on many laptops) then you are wasting your time - go the USB adaptor route.

Reply with quote Back to top
chickenlipsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 - 05:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Graeme wrote:
Quote:

I'll keep trying.

If you only have a mic input (common on many laptops) then you are wasting your time - go the USB adaptor route.

Would a straightforward red/white RCA to USB work? or would it need the analogue to digital converter on it? don't need studio quality, my work is issuing us with i-pad mini's and i would like to download albums to it via my laptop to play whilst driving (getting new VW vans with bluetooth/wireless as well)
Cheers, Col

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 - 11:30 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

my work is issuing us with i-pad mini's and i would like to download albums to it via my laptop to play whilst driving

Not owning an iPad, I can't say for certain, but I assume the deal is much the same as an iPod (which I do have). The music which you have downloaded to your computer is already in a digital format. Transfer between the computer and the iPad only requires a digital link between the two devices. Presumably the iPad has a usb connection, in which case a simple usb/usb lead will suffice. No doubt the iPad manual will tell you exactly how to transfer files from a computer to the iPad.

chickenlipsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 - 11:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi Graeme,
Transferring to the ipad from the pc is no problem, i was just wondering if a basic red/white rca to usb lead would work from amp to laptop or if i would need the more expensive one you posted in your link (with the analogue-digital convertor). Like the OP, i have tried it via the mic input, worked out ok once you play about with the recording levels in audacity, but as you know, the mic input is only mono.
Cheers

brioma33Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 - 04:37 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Chickenlips,
I've tried the cheaper rca jack to usb cord and it didn' work. That's what started this whole thing off.
Brian

chickenlipsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 - 05:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

brioma33 wrote:
Chickenlips,
I've tried the cheaper rca jack to usb cord and it didn' work. That's what started this whole thing off.
Brian

ah, sorry Brian, i thought it was just the software you couldn't get to work - didn't mean to hijack your thread Smile

GraemeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: software needed  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 - 06:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

chickenlips wrote:
... i was just wondering if a basic red/white rca to usb lead would work from amp to laptop or if i would need the more expensive one you posted in your link (with the analogue-digital convertor).

Your audio is analogue, the computer is digital - you need the converter.

chickenlips wrote:
Like the OP, i have tried it via the mic input, worked out ok once you play about with the recording levels in audacity, but as you know, the mic input is only mono.

As I outlined in an earlier post, being mono is the least of your problems. You either need a line input on the computer (which would be stereo and the right sensitivity) or go the USB route.

Jump to: