The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gbfrank
Post subject: Texas Members  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2013 - 12:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Haven't firmed up a date yet, not even a month, but thinking of visiting my sister in Dallas/Ft Worth area ( actually Irving). Would then probably be heading to New Braunfels area for a week.

Any members in those areas?

Frank

Reply with quote Back to top
Heidler
Post subject: Texas Members  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

R. Folkes in New Braunfels ( Texas ) is a great 78 collector ( Robert Johnson ) as well as " company sleeves " and 45 picture sleeves ( some really RARE ones in his collection, as seen by me in 2011 and in really GREAT conditions )

I just contacted him in regards to this post and he's not interested in meeting with you.

Good luck in Dallas ( Irving )
I've spent many a record hunt at the " TEJAS Motel " in Irving, back when it was a going firm, a nice little chicken place next door ( NOT KFC ) and just off the interstate on the " eastern side "

Still some great items to be found in Fort Worth, and a pawn shop, south to Weatherford, where they sold LP records as " 3 for a dollar " *
* This is where I picked-up the Vee Jay(s) Frank Ifield / Beatles LPs for less than $6 as well as a sealed copy of " Ball " as by Iron Butterfly ( $ 1 )

Good luck...

H

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: Re: Texas Members  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2013 - 08:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Heidler wrote:
R. Folkes in New Braunfels ( Texas ) is a great 78 collector ( Robert Johnson ) as well as " company sleeves " and 45 picture sleeves ( some really RARE ones in his collection, as seen by me in 2011 and in really GREAT conditions )

I just contacted him in regards to this post and he's not interested in meeting with you.

Unless this is an inside joke aren't some things better left unsaid?

Fireflite
Post subject: RE: Re: Texas Members  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2013 - 04:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
Unless this is an inside joke aren't some things better left unsaid?

Yes, but what makes you think he'll stop now?
In the rarefied air of Robert Johnson 78 collectors & friends , we are all but peons to be put in our place.

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Re: Texas Members  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2013 - 06:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mr Heidler delights in self-perceived excellence. As I asked about RCG members, his input is pointless.

ZeppelinHunterOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Texas Members  PostPosted: May 03, 2013 - 05:52 PM
Level 3
Level 3

This may be too late to be helpful, but here goes anyway.

I live in between Dallas and Fort Worth. I suggest you check out Doc's Records in Fort Worth. I've been there a couple of times, and while they don't have a huge collection, they frequently get in a lot of new stuff, and their prices are reasonable.

Another place is Forever Young in Grand Prairie. It has a *huge* selection, but they're expensive (if you check online reviews, you'll see this is a common complaint, and I concur).

Here's a Yelp link for Doc's records; you'll see a link to Forever Young on the right side of the page as well. http://www.yelp.com/biz/docs-records-and-vintage-fort-worth

Half Price Books are everywhere in the area. Their LP collections vary a great deal both in quantity and quality. If you find yourself in Arlington for some reason, go to the one in north Arlington. It doesn't have an especially large collection, but I've found some great deals there, and if you find an LP with some obvious defect, you might bargain it down with the clerk.

I haven't been to Dallas looking for LPs, but I was told by a clerk at my local Salvation Army that the "main Salvation Army store" in Dallas has a big collection, and that I should go there if I were interested in vinyl. I haven't done so, so I can't vouch for it, but there you are. I'm not sure what "main Salvation Army store" actually means. Isn't that helpful?

Finally, there's Traders Village in Grand Prairie. It's a freakin' huge flea market open on the weekends. I've only been there once, and that was before I started collecting vinyl again, but I've since read about vinyl sellers there. I need to get off my duff and get back there. Here's a link: http://tradersvillage.com/grand-prairie/

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Re: Texas Members  PostPosted: May 03, 2013 - 07:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thank you very much, ZeppelinHunter. I'll try to visit some of the places you've suggested.

Frank

Jump to: