The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RAJ484Offline
Post subject: "Ten Little Darkies" by Irving Kaufman  PostPosted: May 20, 2013 - 09:29 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to this forum and I have a question for you all who hopefully know about all things records. I have a 78 single of the song mentioned in the title of this post. I don't want to offend anyone. On the flip side is "Jingle Bells". I don't know how collectible this is, how controversial, how anything... I so far have not played this record because I don't have any turntables to play it on. Any of you have any information?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: "Ten Little Darkies" by Irving Kaufman  PostPosted: May 20, 2013 - 10:13 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Welcome to the RCG.

It was a different time 80-90-100 years ago. Black-face minstrel shows and 'coon songs' were fairly common. I have a number of such 78s in my collection. I wouldn't guess that an Irving Kaufman 78 would necessarily be a "Super Collectible" or have notable collectible or monetary value. But I could be wrong.

As for offending anyone, no I don't take offense. It is what it is, just a remnant of the past.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: "Ten Little Darkies" by Irving Kaufman  PostPosted: May 20, 2013 - 11:43 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Acc. to this National Library of Australia entry, "Ten Little Darkies"/"Jingle Bells" was issued ca. 1940 on the Columbia Records childrens subsidiary label Playtime Records.

AudioGasoline
Post subject: RE: Re: "Ten Little Darkies" by Irving Kaufman  PostPosted: May 22, 2013 - 11:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wow, I haven't seen a children's coon song before... sickening. I'm assuming it's to the tune of "Ten Little Indians"?

The date of 1940 stands out to me too, since most of this stuff is pre-1920. Not to say that overt racism wasn't prevalent in the 40s, but there wasn't much of it still being put on record.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

Jump to: