The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OPENMINDOffline
Post subject: Undocumented Marc Bolan 60's Acetate - Information Required  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 08:46 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Ladies/Gents any help greatfully appreciated.

Several years ago I was walking around a boot sale when Ibought a Two-Sided Acetate LP. There is nothing written on the LP.The seller stated he was in a group called The Third Half around1967 which had Marc Bolan in the group.They were also known as Sanctuary.The seller also had a 7" EMIdisc Acetate called 'Piccolo Man' by Sanctaury but refused to sell it stating he had sold the LP by mistake! But I did get the following information:- The Acetate was produced by David Knights & Michael Myers for Niall Morrow Productions.Apparently the band consisted of Marc Bolan, James Alexander, Barry Peddler and a drummer whose name has been forgotten.The LP is a two - sided acoustic folky type psychy stuff with male vocals (femvox on 1 track). Bolan does not sing on it (certainly not solo, but possibly backing vocals with others) but plays guitar.The LP is blank with only the sides written in the middle in crayon or similar. It is in good condition for an acetate with original typed sleeve that just says "LP ACETATE - HANDLE WITH CARE 33 1/3".Ive never heard any of the songs before and don't know if they are Bolan Compositions. Does anybody have any ideas or information on Value for this LP or where I could find any more information about it would be appreciated.

All replies greatfully received. - Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 - 02:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Welcome to the Guild OM, acetates are funny things to get a value on. I looked over completed auctions and was not suprised to find Beatles, Stones, and Elvis bringing in hundreds. But then again Van Halen "Jump" went for less than $35. Marc Bolan, he was one hell of a musician and early stuff that could be shown to include him may very well draw some attention. If you were to force me to take a guess I'd say somewhere between $60 to $100 USD.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

NickBeefOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 - 11:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Captain's assessment sounds about right.

There are a good number of "buy-anything-Bolan" collectors out there, while there is less so for Van Halen (maybe back in the '80's). Add additional points if the acetate's recordings are otherwise unreleased. Add even more points if the music might be good enough to appeal to garage collectors (garage collectors wanting it + Bolan collectors wanting it = more value).

Well, you've listened to it OPENMIND, does it got some good garage snarl, some lyte-psych Byrds-ish jangle, or what?

what's it sound like??!?!?!

greelywingerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2013 - 08:15 PM
Level 2
Level 2

This sounds like the 5 piece band (Steve Took was another member).
This is right before he started Tyrannosaurus Rex with Steve Took.
From what I've been told, it was a one-off gig where nothing was recorded.
I've also hear it sounded horrible.
Bolan got a few musicians together and he thought everything would come together like magic, with no rehearsals.

Darryl

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2013 - 02:30 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

he thought everything would come together like magic, with no rehearsals

That's right - the more you rehearse, the more there is to remember!

Jump to: