The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wax33recordsOffline
Post subject: Unfair feedback policy on Discogs.com  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2013 - 02:41 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I am a professional seller on Discogs.com and I would like to create a forum of discussion about the feedback policy of Discogs.com

When becoming a seller on Discogs, one has to agree with Discogs' Terms Of Services (TOS) that state that all the records posted by a seller must be AT ALL TIME available for IMMEDIATE sale. In other words, when a buyer places an order, the record must be available for sale at ALL times. If the seller no longer has the record and therefore cannot fulfill his/her side of the transaction, the buyer can choose to leave a negative feedback. As an example, if I sell a record on Musicstack.com at 13:05pm, I would have to simultaneously remove my record from all the other sites where I sell the same record. (One has to think simply from a physical standpoint: there is no way that a person can be 24/24 in front of his/her computer to update his/her site!!!).

Implicitely, it means that a seller cannot sell a record on another website if he/she does not update immediately his/her Discogs inventory. In other words, no profit has been made by the seller but Discogs.com empowers the buyer to damage the sellerís reputation solely on the ground that the item for sale was no longer available at the time of the buyerís order.As one can clearly see, it puts an unreasonable burden on the seller and directly subjects the seller to defamation and slander.

A professional seller, in any business field, relies heavily on his/her reputation. Feedback made by his/her buyers are made public and therefore any decision made by a potential buyer is greatly influenced by the sellerís feedback. Even if a seller has 99.9% positive feedbacks, one single negative feedback can induce mistrust in a potential buyer.
It is highly unfair that a buyer (and sometimes a buyer with with zero feedback!) in which a business transaction never took place, can have the power to damage the repuation of a serious professional seller.

I would like other record sellers to share their experience regarding this matter so that we can forward our case directly to Discogs.com so that that they will review their feedback unfair feedback policy.

Thanks for your participation!

Reply with quote Back to top
heyjoeOffline
Post subject: RE: Unfair feedback policy on Discogs.com  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2013 - 07:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Welcome to the RCG, wax33: sounds like Discogs wants to discourage you from listing on their competitors' sites. Does Musicstack have a similar policy? I have not bought or sold from either.

Fireflite
Post subject: RE: Unfair feedback policy on Discogs.com  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2013 - 10:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Can't help you with your problem, but there's always someone with an issue about something. You can't win them all, sometimes barely any.
In general I ignore a neg or two, so do most sensible people. Find out where he lives go over there and shoot him to make you feel better, then move on.
I don't think they'll alter their policy no matter what unlikely union of sellers. Til the revolution at least.

I would like your opinion on Discogs wants lists though , speaking as an active participant.

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=581983#581983

So far, on limited information, it seems to be a waste of time

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Unfair feedback policy on Discogs.com  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2013 - 01:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you sell an album listed on several sites wouldn't you want to remove it from the other ones just to keep things in order and accurate for your own sake (and sanity)? I know I would, but I've got a memory like a sieve.
As for Discogs' policy, I wouldn't go so far as to call it unfair. If you list an album for sale it should be, well....for sale. If I were the buyer in that situation I wouldn't leave negative feedback (maybe neutral or not at all), but I can't argue with Discogs giving the buyer the ability to leave feedback. The reason there was no transaction was because the seller couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain. Likewise if a buyer never pays after they place an order most sellers leave them negative feedback, despite the fact that there was no transaction.

p.s.; out of curiosity, just how many sites/places do you list your items?

p.s.s.; I don't know about other sites, but I know if that happens on ebay the buyer still has the ability to leave feedback even for a canceled transaction. So it's not just Discogs with this type of policy.

socorroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2013 - 11:42 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I can see your point. In the extreme case, a vindictive buyer might trash you for failing to immediately delete the item from all the sites where it was listed. As a buyer, however, I have sometimes experienced the opposite: a seller who sold the record YEARS ago and never updated their site. Or a seller who deleted the record from the site from which it was sold, but never deleted it from other sites where it was listed.

In each case, the record was an ultra-rarity and it was a bummer to find out that it was long gone.

A fairer policy would be to allow a grace period of two days (for example, the exact time isn't important) between the time it was sold on site A and deleted from site B. The downside is that this would be unenforceable as a practical matter.

maslikoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2013 - 12:06 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I totally agree with this policy.And it should stay that way.If i make the effort to look and buy such item,it should be available.

Buyers are already at the mercy of the sellers.To be honest i don't buy from DISCOGS anymore and wont be again until they implement a "grading feedback" system-its is the sure way to stop grading BS.Grading on DISCOGS is a joke."When i buy from discogs i ask for photo's for every sale.Only a small amount of sellers do it though.Just about every item on DISCOGS is Mint.I got a M item the other day with a 6" seam split on every side.Then the buyer gave me NEG.WTF.

Jump to: