The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tweteeberdOffline
Post subject: Rarer classical need appraised  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2013 - 04:40 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a small collection of rarer classical 78's that I need to determine value for as well as any information about collectors interested in this genre.

A few examples are Strauss-Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life op.40" conducted by Artur Rodzinski.

Beethoven, Symphony No.1 in C Major conducted by Felix Weingartner

These are some of the Columbia Masterworks sets that I have.

I also have Victor, RCA Victor, and His Master's Voice RCA Victor 78's of the same era with conductors Leopold Stokowski, Mengelberg and more.

And I have one Actual Vinyl 78 LP

Reply with quote Back to top
tweteeberdOffline
Post subject: Rarer classical need appraisal  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2013 - 04:57 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a small collection of rarer classical 78's that I need to determine value for as well as any information about collectors interested in this genre.

A few examples are Strauss-Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life op.40" conducted by Artur Rodzinski.

Beethoven, Symphony No.1 in C Major conducted by Felix Weingartner

These are some of the Columbia Masterworks sets that I have.

I also have Victor, RCA Victor, and His Master's Voice RCA Victor 78's of the same era with conductors Leopold Stokowski, Mengelberg and more.

And I have one Actual Vinyl 78 LP

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Rarer classical need appraisal  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2013 - 09:39 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hi and welcome to the RCG.

These may not be as "rare" as you think. Many (not all) Classical 78s have virtually no resale value. A Beethoven symphony for example on a major label which sold in large numbers seventy years ago. Who really wants to fip over 12" shellac 78s every 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes to listen to a 20 or 30 minute symphony? Most Classical music enthusiasts would much rather buy a CD reissue of that historic recording, or a more modern performance in stereo on LP or CD.

You might go onto websites like collectorsfrenzy.com, popsike.com, or check completed auctions on Ebay to see what specific titles actually sold for. I do have a fair number of Classical 78s in my collection (several hundred perhaps) and most have virtually no resale value. All of them were acquired either dirt cheap (as part of a larger collection/accumulation purchased) or were 'freebies', typically landfill rescue scenarios.

Jump to: