The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: caravelles paper pic disc  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 12:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

this is the girl group that had the big hit "you don't have to be a baby to cry"

Reply with quote Back to top
MikeyOffline
Post subject: RE: caravelles paper pic disc  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 05:46 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Paper picture disc? What does that mean?

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: caravelles paper pic disc  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 06:47 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It is a clear plastic film bearing the audio groove laminated onto paper backing. They were mainly used for advertising purposes, as they could be bound in magazines or other periodicals, sent via the postal system, or simply given away as a promotion. A few other Columbia Auravision examples may be found here ....

Shadows of Knight

Auravision record

Red Skelton

Sounds of Self defense picture disc

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 03:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

how many of those 1960's cereal box rekkidz are still a-spinning, i wonder.... Question

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2013 - 02:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I dunno - I just picked up the cereal box version of "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies and it still sounded pretty good. I know there's a website devoted to classic cereal box records.
Other Auravision records in my collection include a promo record by Lorne Greene for Chevrolet; "The Wrangler Stretch" by Joyce Williams (horribly dubbed but in my opinion a possible Northern Soul advertising record...funny that nobody else ever mentioned this one); a Lawrence Welk Christmas promo for Dodge circa 1958; and a promo record for Seeburg Audio Systems.

sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 - 03:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have some of these thin paper/cardboard records and they have a very limited sound quality. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to play them 'cause the are warped like hell.

I also have some playable postcards from the 50's and 60's. This idea was much older - I own a small playable postcard from the late 20's/early 30's - but this one won't play anymore. The plastic is getting smaller while aging and the postcard is now heavy warped.

Jump to: