The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kensell21Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM
Level 1
Level 1

savagebeat wrote:
it's been 3 years since I posted in this thread about CATraxx. I now have 5,400 vinyl entries in my database and 25,500 tracks listed as well as 5,588 artists listed. There is no way I would have time to enter all that info in my lifetime if it wasn't for the ability to sync with Discogs. So yes I am happy with this software and it works flawlessly. The nice thing to is that as Discogs gets better and more complete, I am able to go back through my LPs and 45s and run an update on individual releases that I didn't get detailed info or cover art the first time around. Still a lot of work as I still come across records that haven't been entered, but as of the 1st of this year I have added about 70 releases, some new purchases and some that were already in my collection and on almost everyone I was able to add the info via Discogs and a few mouse clicks.

Hi All,

I'm a user of CATraxx as well for a long time, but have noticed when I tried to log on to their forums that it's closed. It had been a while since I have been to it..

savagebeat, do you know if it's still functioning?? It's been a while as well since an update to the program..

Reply with quote Back to top
savagebeat
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 04:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

kensell21,
Earlier this year I had contacted them about that, as the forums were very helpful. the response I got was that there had been a lot of spam/abuse of the forum so they pulled them down. A short while later the forums were back up, but just a static archive of the forum. Now today I went to the website and came across this.
Quote:

FNProgramvare has ceased operations.

Thanks to all customers for the opportunity to have served the collector community for almost 20 years.
Existing customers can download the latest builds below. Use your registration key to unlock the demo version.
If you have lost your registration key, contact support@fnprg.com and request a new key.

A bummer as this was a great program. Fortunately, like most of these programs, I will be able to convert to comma separated type file and upload to another program someday if the current version becomes incompatible with future operating systems. I had just hit a major milestone as I have finally fully cataloged every LP/12" and 10" (minus 78's) in my collection (that's an additional 800 releases added since my last post with very little time invested) and have started on my 7" vinyl. I will continue to use the software for the time being.

So for those of you who liked CATraxx, any recommendations?

StormnationOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 26, 2013 - 04:40 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I currently use OO calc(it's the free version of MS) which is useable to a degree! Not been collecting long, it started about 6 months ago when I got chatting to a church friend and the conversation somehow got around to the fact I like music and had decided to try and get a gramophone, to which the other chap said...."Oh, I have one if you want to buy it". Now I have a table top gramophone, a stack of 78's and 12"/45's that my mum was getting rid of.

The aim with the "excel" sheet is to file everything(which is immensly exciting to write up for some reason!) in order that I don't ge the same copy as I build the collection up!

HOWEVER.....I'm not sure if anyone else is a cheapskate and uses the free OO "excel" but I would like to be able to make a "drop down box". I want to be able to click the name of the record and it bring up a list of the tracks on that said record.....anyone know the best way to achieve this?

bkOffline
Post subject: Cataloging or Collections Software  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2013 - 05:28 PM
Level 1
Level 1

That's a cool feature about CATraxx, syncing. The program I use has that feature, too. A lot of folks in this thread report using excel but what I find handy about collections software is its data retrieval. That saves a ton of typing.

I use Tellico to catalog my vinyl. I had a terrific score today and when I got home I sat down to Tellico. Cataloging today's batch took about 2 hours of me leisurely poking around the web learning about some of the records and maybe playing some, too, while I catalog. It's cool, kids and wife took off. Heh.

Click search, type in the catalog number, hit enter, bam - there it is in a list. I click on the results until I find the one most matching the version I have and then click the add entry button. Done, it's in my database. I don't like that the cat number I just searched for isn't included in the data retrieved when I click the add entry button. I have to manually add that after the entry is saved. Minor, maybe, but the program is so handy everywhere else.

I can add any field I want and choose to report on almost any field. Sorry - I sound like I'm selling this. I don't work for them and it's free anyway.

My favorite feature is export to html. Bam, a quick web site of my collection from any fields I choose and it's got a handy search included. That's cool. All I do is edit the existing page anytime I update my collection. I serve it up from my server so it's ssh from here to there and I'm done.

Anyway, sorry for barging into the thread. I have tried 4 or 5 similar catalog or collections programs and I like some aspects of some of them but overall I dig Tellico.

StormnationOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2013 - 03:14 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Can you use Tellico in an offline mode? Excel offers just that Razz which is handy as I don't like having the internet on my phone on all the time. Using excel means that whilst I am out, I can look at the phone and double check against the spreadsheet without having to worry about internet connection etc etc

Not sure about anybody else but I actually enjoy entering data into the spreadsheet after a successful shop! Using the internet sites helps a lot at times aswel,l but I prefer to try and find all the information i want and enter it manualy, rather than letting the net do the whole job for me....

Just my opinion! It doesn't count for much Smile Razz

bkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2013 - 05:21 AM
Level 1
Level 1

The two immediate choices for adding new items to the database are search and add new. The search function is discogs, musicbrainz, and freebase capable and the add new is just that, an item entry box is used to manually add all data.

It stores data locally so you don't have to be online to see your stuff - which I demand of any app. So, while it doesn't have an offline mode, you certainly don't need to be online to use it.

You wouldn't use Tellico on your phone, that's just crazy, but you can see your collection from your phone - Tellico exports to html but it's not formatted for a small screen. You could print to pdf, too.

mayerrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2013 - 02:31 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I've tried quite a few databases over the years but the best in my opinion is the Novocat database as it allows you to personalize it to meet your needs and allows you to import/export in various formats.

www.novocat.com

Jump to: