The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: DETROIT-C-Ende  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 - 05:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As we continue...

Please note: While I don't mean to ' hog ' this Forum, I want to complete this Detroit " C " list while I'm able to this morning.
There seem to be many more " C -label " cards than I first thought ( plus some mis-files while doing research for the book )

Thank you for your understanding ( where applicable )

COOL SCHOOL
1960's Label
Owner: Lou Beatty
6070-72 14th Street
Detroit
( Refer also to: La Beat and Mary Jane Records )

CORN
1980's Label
18601 Mark Twain
Detroit

CORONA
18980's Label
P.O. Box 10292
Detroit

CORRECT-TONE
1962-1966
Owner: Wilbur Golden
9031 12th Street
8912 Grand River
Detroit

Note: Some well-known artists spent some of their long careers with this imprint, including the late Wilson ' Wicked ' Pickett, Gino Washington, and James Velvet.

COUNT
1970's Label
18912 Ferguson
Detroit

COUP
1980's Label
Owners: Morton and Scott Stein, and Ernest Kelly
( Refer also to Cherie Records )

Note: The great Barrett " Money " Strong also recorded for this imprint.

COVINGTON COVE
1980's Label

COWBOY
1960's Label
XY Land Productions
( Refer also to: Astra - Bomb - and Hyland )

Note: Indeed, a strange name for a Detroit-based imprint.

CREED
1960's ( Mainly ) Gospel Label
Owner: Gino Washington
( Refer also to: Atac - and Washpan Records )

Note: With some twenty-plus recording acts on the roster, Mister Washington also recorded for this, his own imprint.

CRUISE
1980's Label

CROW
1960's label
Owner: Eugene Davis
10049 Terry
Detroit

CRYSTAL ROSE
1980's Label

CUE 2
1980's Label

CURTIS BALLARD
1970's Label ( Private Pressing )
Owner: Curtis Ballard

Note: Distributed by Inter-Soul

CU-WU
1960's Label
Owner: C.W. Jones
( Refer also to: Assembly Line Records )

C-WAY
1950's Label ( 1959 )

CYE ( Community Youth Ensemble )
1960's Gospel Label
13248 Linwood Avenue
Detroit

Thank you.

Well, that does it for the " DETROIT-C " listings contained in the files ( 3 x 5 cards )
SAL-UTE!

I do hope that some readers, researchers, collectors, or just the plain curious, can and will apply a small part of this in some way.

I've had an email from a notable New York City-based collector who has written that he owns " about seventy " of the labels ( Detroit ) that have been so-far listed.

That's one, but I'm happy with that.

Please remember that I did all of this long before the advent of " home computers "

Back in the late 1960's, I undertook the effort to obtain older telephone directories, and most cities were obliging ( some I took from hotels and motels too! )
However, by the 1970's ( I was still trying ) I was told that obtaining a Directory(s) would be so at my own cost ( if and when available )
Telephone books ( even from Gary, Indiana ) were expensive to ship out to Los Angeles, but I did what I could, and I still have about 30 Directories *

* I was very pleased ( not to mention surprised ) to find just how many labels existed in Jackson, Mississippi besides the imprints from the ACE family of labels ( Pink, Vin, Teen, etc )
My small copy of the Jackson ( Mississippi ) phone-book was passed to me by Johnny Vincent ( Imbruglio ) himself as was the Norfolk ( Virginia ) directory from Frank Guida*
(* I took the white pages book from the W-----k Hotel in Newport News ( Virginia )

Last, but not least, only PART of this information is from Telephone Directories.
They are / were only used to enhance and / or vefrify my research, usually to add additional addresses from labels and their owners that often moved around, as so many did out here.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: