The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 10:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ZootAllures wrote:
philiprollett wrote:
Graeme wrote:
Quote:

becauseI couldn't see any on the site

You didn't look very hard - Ortofon OM 10 or 2M red

ahh yes sorry man bad, pretty stupid of me.... any recommendations on which is better to get?

I've no opinion regarding the OM cart but I have a 2M Red in my office setup and it is very good. I'm sure it would sound great on that new TT.

The 2M Red is what my TT came with, and I was told that the 2M Blue would be the next logical upgrade. I haven't heard the OM either.

Reply with quote Back to top
ZootAlluresOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 10:31 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Quote:
I've no opinion regarding the OM cart but I have a 2M Red in my office setup and it is very good. I'm sure it would sound great on that new TT.

Quote:
The 2M Red is what my TT came with, and I was told that the 2M Blue would be the next logical upgrade. I haven't heard the OM either.

My main setup in the man cave has the 2M Blue with about 50-60 hours on the cart and I'm extremely happy. Very Happy

philiprollettOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 - 05:02 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I recently purchased one and I have to say i'm very happy with the quality.... When I need to change the needle though will I have to replace the stylus every time as the cheapest I can find is 65 pounds which is very pricey? if this is the case how often would you recommend changing the needle

link to stylus- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ortofon-ORTOFON-2M-RED-STYLUS/dp/B000X8CC2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389265058&sr=8-1&keywords=ORTOFON2M+RED+STYLUS

ZootAlluresOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 - 07:42 PM
Level 5
Level 5

philiprollett wrote:
I recently purchased one and I have to say i'm very happy with the quality.... When I need to change the needle though will I have to replace the stylus every time as the cheapest I can find is 65 pounds which is very pricey? if this is the case how often would you recommend changing the needle

link to stylus- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ortofon-ORTOFON-2M-RED-STYLUS/dp/B000X8CC2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389265058&sr=8-1&keywords=ORTOFON2M+RED+STYLUS

Depending on who you ask, 500 to 2500 hours.

Best to let your ear be the judge.

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 - 03:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

Best to let your ear be the judge.

Not sure about that - by the time you get to a point where you can hear a problem, it will almost certainly have irreparably damaged the records. The only true way to determine wear is examination by microscope - and that presumes you know what to look for. You might find the information here - http://www.ortofon.com/support/faq-installation - useful.

A diamond stylus should be good for at least 2,000 hours playing time (Ortofon could probably give you a figure for this model, if you ask them nicely). That's a lot of music and works out at around 2,600 LP's. If you play 5 complete LP's a day, that equates to approximately a year and a half. So, even under that sort of playing regime, you'd only have to change the stylus every 18 months - and I doubt too many people play their records with quite that intensity.

Remember, stylus life is considerably improved if the records are clean!!

Jump to: