The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: Interlude...Tales From Hollywood  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2014 - 08:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello again...

I would like to complete the listing for " Detroit " but in doing so, I would also like to add " Interludes - Tales From Hollywood " as excerpts from the book
( and because Canfield won't leave me alone! )

Used by permission from the published works: " What Goes Around " - April 2014

EXCERPTS ONLY!

Set:
Hollywood Star Lanes* ( 5229 Santa Monica Blvd. ) Thursday 10th October, 1963*
* Though a bowling alley ( in every sense of the words ) ambient noise was at a minimum due to the location of our booth.

I had attempted to interview Mister Lester Sill " out of office " on several occasions and thanks to Lew Bedell (rn: Bedinsky ) of Dore Records, it was arranged that we would meet at this oft-used location : " for lunch, some refreshments, and some lessons in history "

* We were to meet again, but on the 22nd of November ( 1963 ) the news came in that J.F.K had been killed, and that put a stop to everything...

Though often ' prompted ' by me, Mister Sill continued to refuse to speak about his ex-business partner Phil Spector ( " that little s--t... that check-bouncing poison dwarf " ) ... but he soon ' connected ' when the subject regarding our " good man and mutual friend " Sonny ( Salvatore ) Bono came up...

L.S.
" Say, if you don't mind me asking, have you finished ( High ) school ? "
" Isn't the draft breathing down your neck about now ? "
* Note 1

*Note 1:
How prolific....
The following Saturday ( 12th ) I received my " Report For Physical " and notice to register with the Draft Board ( Westwood ) and in doing so, was later classified as a fit and healthy... " 1-A "
The following July (1964 ) I received my official " Greetings " and reported for induction as instructed on 04-November at Los Angeles.

Initial ' tour ' would have been two years US 563-*****7
( God knows as what - but out by 1966, but took the ' extra ' time by re-enlisting in Basic, for Flight School and as a result, was finally discharged in 1968! )
What a stooopid!

During my Basic Training, I then saw the 'advert ' for ' Canon Fodder ' applied for, and was accepted for the U.S. Army ( Primary ) Flight School ( Helicopter ) conducted at Fort ( Camp ) Wolters, Texas.
After a " Newly Modified Combat-Rotor Course " ( A total of 36 weeks including the very then- shameful " advanced course " at Fort Rucker, Alabama, I graduated )

After training with 11th Air Assault, Fort Benning, Georgia ( LOVED the UH-1 ) I was then assigned to the one-and-only First Calvary ( Airmobile ) with our base-camp at An Khe ( Republic of South Viet Nam )

What this all boils-down to is that one of the " post-cards " I ever sent... was to the home address of Lester Sill.....( 1965 )

As we continue...

" They say there's no such thing as honesty in the car business, and all these records people ( business ) are just the same, but I like Sonny ( Bono ) always have "
" If you want honesty, he's the closest you're going to get, do you feel like that ? "

{ I like Sonny very much, and I like the stories he's told us }

" Yeah, well I've got some myself, poor guy, it's kind of like he's so na´ve, it's like he doesn't belong out here ( and ) he certainly doesn't need to idolize Phillip ( Spector ) the way he does "

( Laughter ) " When he went to Specialty, he walks in there with his apron, full of blood-stains, he came to us ( labels on Argyle and Selma ) like that too "
" Did he tell you about Record Merchandisers ? " ( Merchandising )

{ I know he worked there, then he came and told us he was working for him* }
* Phil Spector

L.S.
" That's what I'm saying, honesty, but costly to them ( Record Merchandising ) and I know for a fact that he dumped hundreds of records around here ( Hollywood ) because he ( Sonny ) wouldn't buy-in to promoting ( delivering ) a bunch of half-assed records from a bunch of half-assed labels "
" I'm not using them anymore, so I don't have to worry about it "

" He's ( Sonny ) got this little place up in Benedict Canyon now, a rental, I went to a party up there, he's got these cards printed:
" Sonny Bono - West Coast Promotions , he called Phillip and said he wanted to work for him, that's what he calls himself, but really he's just a lackey for him ( Spector )

" NOW, he ( Sonny ) knows about this mental-cripple "

" I got Sonny in the kitchen and I say, hey, so how's it going with Spector ? "
" He tells me that " Spector's insane "

" He's ( Spector ) got me doing all kinds of things, he's not rational, we've been close, but he seems to dislike it if any attention is diverted away from him, like with my new girl-friend ( and future wife, Cher... rn: Cherilyn LaPierre )

" That whole family's crazy, man, they all hated it when his mother showed-up at EVERY session for us " ( Phil-Les Records and publisher Mother Bertha Music )
" Every time Bertha came to Gold Star, they all hated it, ALL the musicians, the engineers, and especially the little rat, who gave her the limo to get down there "

" He hates her, he really does , I tell you, he HATES her, no kindness ever exhibited from either one of them, he doesn't say but she's my mother okay ? "

" His ( Spector ) sister is a nut, she said she managed him, or at least she convinced some people, they put her away, and he sent Sonny up there to slip money to her under her door at Atascadero " *
( * Mental Hospital )

" Man that's sad, she's peculiar, no doubt, but I've got little pity for him ( Spector ) or his family, they're all a bit loopy "

" Put this in there, your book, tell 'em Lester Sill sent you "

...." Edits " are for the uzual spilling errrrs and all of the rest of it!

Next.... " Interlude "
Jerry Fuller:
" Travelin' Man " demo in the trash at SAR Records ( ahh, but Imperial was just across the hall ! )

Thank you.

H

Last edited by Heidler on Jan 14, 2014 - 11:26 AM; edited 7 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Interlude...Tales From Hollywood  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2014 - 08:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

great story heidler. can i buy a copy of your book from you?

Heidler
Post subject: Interlude...Tales From Hollywood  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2014 - 04:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450...

Will send P.M. with information.

Publication date: 14 April 2014

Thank you.

H

Jump to: