The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
perry619Offline
Post subject: the letter "A" impressed on both sides of the labe  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2014 - 12:55 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I have come across some new wave albums with the letter "A" on both sides of the label near the spindle hole. It's impressed into the label, you can feel it. I've found this on labels from different record companies. Does anyone know what this is?

thanks,

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: the letter "A" impressed on both sides of the  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2014 - 08:32 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

perry619 wrote:
... I've found this on labels from different record companies....
Can you be more specific? Which labels/record companies? Cataloging info. (title, performer, record no.) would be helpful as well.

perry619Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: the letter "A" impressed on both sides of   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2014 - 09:10 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hey thanks for replying.

I have 2 examples The Cure "Just Like Heaven" 0-66793 Elektra, and New Order Substance 1987 1-25621 Qwest.
I was at a buddies house and found 1 of his with the same mark from Sire.
thanks,
Perry

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: the letter "A" impressed on both sides of  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 - 09:30 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

There was an older discussion (which I don't seem able to find) of the raised letters E A S and T in a cross formation around the spindle hole under the LP labels. IIRC, pressings with these raised letters were mfd. at Specialty Records, Olyphant, PA.

stephenjayeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 10:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've also seen a raised "MALCO" (iirc sp) in the label area on some 45s... too long ago to remember the label/title. I do recall that the raised letters were backwards, as evidenced by the L and C.

perry619Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 02:54 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The "A"' is not raised, it's impressed into the label. It looks to me that a metal punch was used when the album was still warm. It penetrated
the label. You can see the vinyl.

perry619Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2014 - 02:06 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hey I just came across an example on discogs that show's the "A" mark.
cat # 0-20591 The Smith's ASK single.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2014 - 07:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I believe that's a hallmark for the Allied Pressing Plant. A single upper case letter "A" embossed in the vinyl under the label (or sometimes it looks pressed through the label), stamped not written. The matrix numbers in the dead wax usually also have the plant/plate code (or whatever it is, not the catalog number) as "B-XXXXX" - well, not actual "X's", but 5 numbers after the B.

Allied and Specialty were both bought by Warner WEA in the late 70s, I think that may be the association between both plants using embossed letters. Allied was in LA and Specialty was back east.

Does it look like this Devo label? This is an Allied pressing. It's possible to see this on any label from Warner Music Group, including Sire and Elektra that you mentioned plus Atlantic, Warner Bros, Enigma and many more, mostly seen in 80s pressings. It doesn't seem like they did this on a whole lot of records pressed at Allied, so I don't know what an embossed vs. unembossed record means. I think you're right that they're usually new wave records.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

perry619Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2014 - 09:17 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hey thanks!...I appreciate you're reply.
I assumed it must be something like that.

Jump to: