The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 - 09:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

darlene love was a member of the echoes for one week, she supposedly made one record with them. is this the one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLvf1gnvk84
whether she was on this 45 or not it's such a thrill to find stuff like this in like new condition in this day and age.

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject: RE: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 01:34 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Well, in 1957, she still would have been "Darlene Wright", but yes according to her autobiography this was the one record she recorded with "The Echoes". I suppose we can believe her.

rooster

Heidler
Post subject: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 03:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450...

NICE one! ( they're ALL nice )

Checked my " Combo " book and there's a gap where # 128 should be!
A great Los Angeles indie owned by the late Vernon " Jake " Porter ( or Jake Vernon Porter )

Maybe when you get out this way, we can do a " trade "

I have some lovely " hot rod " things ( Manuel and The Renegades ) that you might be interested in ( and some unique picture sleeves ) so if the COMBO-label recording isn't your bag, bring it on out!

Thanks again for sharing some of these great indie-labels from your collection.

Rather than leave feed-back for each and every one of them, we'll give you a big " atta boy"

H

Last edited by Heidler on Feb 21, 2014 - 07:57 AM; edited 2 times in total

Heidler
Post subject: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

KAWABONGA! - BOOSHEEBA!!!

While putting away my ( already-posted ) Detroit cards, I went and looked-up my fie on the Los Angeles-based " Echoes " group.

Darlene Love (aka Wright ) was NOT with the group on their release for COMBO: My Little Honey " b/ w " Aye Senorita " ( # 128 )
{ I hope you didn't get your information off the oft-erroneous net , and I hope you're not too disappointed )

Darlene Love ( aka Wright ) did NOT join this group until their later release for Specialty: " Over The Rainbow " b/w " Someone " in 1957 ( # 601 )

Here's the ' skinny ':

The group was from Fremont High ( who wasn't back then ? )
The 1956 line-up consisted of Mosby Carter, Harold " Miles " Grayson, Elmo Jones Junior, and Edward Devoid ( who has the writer's credit on your posted example )
Some months later, they added Marzetta Freeman.

They appeared on the T.V. show " Rocket To Stardom " and were " spotted " by talent scout / label owner Mabel Weathers*
* Ms. Weathers also owned the small Impala label and the group backed Sonny Roberts on " I'll Never Let You Go " b/w " Honey Chile " ( Impala # 1001 )

Departing COMBO, record company files show that they then signed with SPECIALTY in April, 1957.
This is when Darlene joined the unit for recording purposes ( replacing Mosby Carter who went into the service )

This unique group now had two female and three male voices, often ' swapping ' lead vocal duties*
(* Up until quite recently, ' leads ' by Marzetta Freeman went un-released on Combo )

This same group also backed Clydie King on " Our Romance " b/w " Written On The Wall " also from 1957 ( Specialty # 605 )

When Edward Devoid and Elmo Jones enrolled in City College, the group broke-up*

* Of course this is / was not the same group ( Echoes ) out of Brooklyn who did " Baby Blue " in 1961 on Segway # 103 ( first for SRG # 101 in 1960 )

Hope this was of some help ( and of interest ) to you.

ADD:
COMBO Records was located at 1107 El Centro in Hollywood, then from 1955 operated from Mister Porter's own home ( 506 North Virgil ) where there was a recording " studio " in the basement.
Many years later, Combo returned to 1107 El Centro ( just next-door to the re-located Class Records ) in a small office, in a multiple-office building.
Vernon " Jake " Porter also ran his " COCO " label from these addresses ( and 1100 El Centro )

Please note:
Although some label scans were eliminated from the book, due to sizes and expense, there are copies of paper-work from Specialty Records ( and others ) own company files that ARE part of the publication and will be found in the respective chapter.

Thank you.

H

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 08:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

thanks for the insight Heidler, great story

Heidler
Post subject: find darlene love  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 10:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi wurlitzer1450;

You're very welcome...

Darlene Love ( aka Wright ) wasn't even an " original Blossom " even though she did join them, and was there through-out their many " re-formations "
( I don't care what the net might say )

You'll find out more within the book ( Gratis ) and the wonderful Lester Sill....

Lew Bedell: ( 1963 and 1968* ) ( *Taped )

" Oh Lord, there's another, go ask Lester Sill about Gold Star, before the split, and all those people he had on-tap for, he just said " I've got an idea, we can do this "

" This group, The Crystals, they had two ( groups ) on the road, and some the girls in the studio at the same time, and that gal, Darlene Love, she's a real beauty, really a pretty girl, Lester brought her in to Phillip " ( Spector )

" I'll say without Lester Sill, Phillip would just be another guy driving around in his beat-up Corvette, just a " has-been " looking to score, based on his one hit from ten years ago, but because of that new thing, he's become a millionaire "

" I like Phillip, I really do, but I LOVE Lester Sill, I always have "
" Talk to him more, and you'll see what I mean, he can really be infectious "

No, Mister Bedell ( rn: Joseph Lewis Bedinsky ) in-fact it was YOU that was always so very " Infectious " and I thank you for all of those hours, days, and telephone calls.

When I said to Mister Bedell: " You're a great record-man " I remember his reply :

"Well, I don't know about that, but if you want to think that way, it's fine by me "

VARIOUS EXCERPTS from Pages: 308 thru 619

I miss them all so much.

Thank you.

H

Jump to: