The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: The amazing Flair label  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2014 - 07:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Lemme state up front that I'm using a cd for my reference point because I don't have any original records on this label (and probably won't anytime soon). The Flair label out of California was an incredible label!!! I tend to forget how great the California R&B sound was, but this collection knocks some sense into me immediately.

Elmore James shows up all over the place here, and man!!! He sounds terrific, but so does everybody else. If I ever walked into a joint that had some of these sides blaring outta the jukebox, I don't know if I'd ever leave. So far I haven't heard a bad track at all.

In case anybody is interested, the cd is "Dust My Rhythm & Blues: The Flair Records R&B Story 1953 - 55" on the always dependable Ace label out of the UK. The liner notes are full of info and lots of label scans (the kind of thing that I both love and hate at the same time....coveting may be a sin, but I'd love to have some of those platters). A good chunk of these are alternate takes, and they're marvelous.

Just a heads up to keep an eye out for this cd if you love good old R&B. One interesting note I learned: the label was initially a Country and Hillbilly subsidiary for the Biharis' Modern label. After the first ten releases, they switched to all R&B.

Overall, great stuff!!

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: The amazing Flair label  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2014 - 08:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i have some of these original flair label R&B 45s. a lot of the ones i've seen were 78s. great recordings from the height of the R&B/R&R years

kaos01Offline
Post subject: RE: The amazing Flair label  PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 - 06:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

For all the harm the Bihari brothers did to the industry with their sub-mediocre Crown pressings, their material on Flair and RPM was nothing short of pure gold.

.......this night wounds time.

recordfan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 - 04:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In the early 70s, when I first started getting into this stuff I was at this flea-market, general swap meet when I came across this dealer that was selli9ng mostly tapes-8 tracks. But for some reason she had 2 Flair 45s without sleeves lying on top of some of the tapes. She wanted a quarter each. One was "The Big Break" by Richard Berry and the other was by someone I had never heard of before. (Could have been Elmore).

This was when swap meet 45s were a nickle or a dime. I tried to get her down, but she wouldn't budge. So I bit my lip and bought the Berry (VG+). Still have it. Since I didn't know the other record, I wasn't going to waste a quarter.

recordfan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 - 04:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's now the mid 80s and I've gone from hating blues records to starting to like them. Enter a local 45 collector that is in need of rent money etc. I had spent decent money with him a few times before and had gotten some nice group stuff, surf and eps for reasonable prices. He never wanted to get rid of any of his nice blues 45s before, but he didn't really have much more good stuff of the other genres to sell, so he broke into his fairly nice blues collection. I spent hundreds of dollars with him on a lot of nice blues stuff including some Killer Flair originals. Some of the best stuff was in incredible condition.

Her are some of what I got that fits this thread:

Johnny Ace "midnight hours journey" Mint -
Little Johnny Jones "Dirty by the dozen" VG++
James Reed "This is the End" VG++
Dixie Blues Boys "Monte Carlo" VG++
Elmore James "Hawaiian Boogie" VG++
Elmore James "Hand in Hand" VG+

And a few other Elmore's, but only in VG shape

At the time I bought these, I paid what we figured was near the going rate. Looking back now, I see I got a steal.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2014 - 06:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My only Flair came out of a flea market, and strangely enough it was passed up by a known dealer (probably because it was in "rough shape"). But how could ANYONE in their right mind pass up Elmore James' "Rock My Baby Right" (1048) for a QUARTER?!

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2014 - 10:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

recordfan wrote:
It's now the mid 80s and I've gone from hating blues records to starting to like them. Enter a local 45 collector that is in need of rent money etc. I had spent decent money with him a few times before and had gotten some nice group stuff, surf and eps for reasonable prices. He never wanted to get rid of any of his nice blues 45s before, but he didn't really have much more good stuff of the other genres to sell, so he broke into his fairly nice blues collection. I spent hundreds of dollars with him on a lot of nice blues stuff including some Killer Flair originals. Some of the best stuff was in incredible condition.

Her are some of what I got that fits this thread:

Johnny Ace "midnight hours journey" Mint -
Little Johnny Jones "Dirty by the dozen" VG++
James Reed "This is the End" VG++
Dixie Blues Boys "Monte Carlo" VG++
Elmore James "Hawaiian Boogie" VG++
Elmore James "Hand in Hand" VG+

And a few other Elmore's, but only in VG shape

At the time I bought these, I paid what we figured was near the going rate. Looking back now, I see I got a steal.

yea recordfan, if we could only go back to those warehouses full of unplayed 45s like the sun warehouse in KC, selecto hits in memphis, and ace in jackson miss. with the money we have today and haul away millions of unplayed blues, R&B, and RAB records, all in the original sleeves. today i seldom see a flair sleeve.

Jump to: