The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Storyville12Offline
Post subject: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unreleased?  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2014 - 05:33 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello there. Today I came across this in a box of 45s and was shocked that I could not find ANY information or documentation of this record even existing. I must have spent 4 hours scouring the web, only to find nothing on the artists or the songs. However, I was able to find some information on the Storyville Jazz club and record label and that it was founded in the early 50s in Boston.

The A side features a song called "One of these Days, Pow!" by Scott Moody with The Four Brothers and the Don Alessi Trio. Surprisingly, (in my own humble opinion)the song is a very good, and admittedly catchy song, leaving me confused as to why it is not available anywhere. The flip side is no where near as good, and unfortunately the condition of both sides is not the greatest but they play without skipping.

I'm wondering if the song has anything to do with Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners, since the show would have aired at around the time that this record was made. The music itself has no relation to Gleason's recordings or the TV series but it may have been inspired by it and possibly the reason why this song was possibly released in small numbers.

I would appreciate any opinions on this, as I am clueless as to the value, given its condition. It seems to be quite rare and possibly recalled or unreleased and may be the only copy of this still around.

Below is a short clip I recorded of the song. If this is not allowed on the forums, let me know and I will remove it, but I think it is appropriate in this situation for informational purposes.

Artist: Scot Moody with the Four Brothers and the Don Alessi Trio

Catalog Number: 5003-A, 5003-B

Label: Storyville, Boston

Date: Unknown (guessing '54, '55)

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gaknr1lsijl7nak/One_of_These_Days,_POW!_clip.mp3

Thank you!

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unrelea  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2014 - 11:19 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I don't know anything about your Storyville 45, but Gleason recorded "One Of These Days—Pow" for a 1954 Capitol LP, according to the Billboard article below.

0529_article_Gleason's-Away-We-Go-TV-Causes-Industry-Havoc.jpg
 Description:
Article, Gleason's "Away We Go" TV Causes Industry Havoc", Billboard, 29 May 1954
 Filesize:  135.92 KB
 Viewed:  562 Time(s)

0529_article_Gleason's-Away-We-Go-TV-Causes-Industry-Havoc.jpg

Storyville12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unr  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2014 - 11:25 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, I was able to find the song by Gleason, but it is not the same lyrics or rhythm. Very interesting article though. Thank you for posting!

Storyville12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unr  PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 12:22 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry to double post, but does anyone know of any jazz collectors I should talk to? Also, is there a demand for one of a kind songs/ releases, even if the band is not well known and only made one record? What gets me is this is on a 'fairly' well known jazz label with a catalog number and it does not appear to be a promotional, DJ copy, or test record. Should this be moved to the super collectables forum? I've searched for days on every auction site, popsike, google, posted on forums, and no one has been able to help me out with any information on the band, song, or rarity of this. The only results that come up are my own postings..

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unr  PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 12:24 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the possibility exists that there's virtually no information on the internet about this record because it's of little interest to music fans and/or collectors? I've run into similar scenarios with some of the rare/obscure records I've come across. Lacking any evidence that the record in question is actually in demand with collectors paying top dollar for it, I don't think it would fit the definition of "super collectible."

Storyville12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: VERY Rare 45 Swing / Jazz Scott Moody Storyville unr  PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 01:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

CactusCowboy, I definitely understand where you are coming from and that is definitely a possibility. I guess its one of those things where its hard to really say what the demand is until one comes up for sale. I'm kind of stumped on this one...

However, based on what I have seen there appears to be a fairly large demand for anything bearing the Storyville label, simply because of the club's significance to Jazz history and the rich Jazz scene in Boston. Some storyville records have fetched prices of $400 +. I also think the fact that the song bears the same name as Jackie Gleason's from the Honeymooners but has completely different lyrics and rhythm makes it pretty interesting. Gleason had the copyrights to the song name in 1954, so I really think there is a good possibility that it was not released for this reason; although I do not have proof that this was the reason for its rarity. The song is actually quite good, at least in my opinion. If anyone is curious just copy and paste the link in the first post.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far. If anyone else has any opinions about the song or otherwise let me know. I need all the information and opinions I can get!

Jump to: