The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tache3Offline
Post subject: The Gun Club Miami Re-issue  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2014 - 01:20 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Being the owner of an original UK pressing of the 'Fire Of Love' album I very much want to add the rest of the band's work to my collection. I notice that 'Miami' has had the 180 gram reissue treatment and is packaged with a live album from the same era as the original release. I'm usually more interested in original pressings than reissues but the extra disc may sway my decision. Does anyone here have, or has heard, the live disc and can offer an opinion on it's quality?

Reply with quote Back to top
ManimalOffline
Post subject: RE: The Gun Club Miami Re-issue  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2014 - 11:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have original Ruby pressing of Fire of Love.

I also have the original pressing of Miami. I know a couple of people who bought the Sympathy for the Record Industry reissue of Miami and were pleased with the quality. I think I heard it in a record store when it came out, and recall it sounding good, but it could have been Las Vegas Story, not sure.

Have you heard the Early Warning/Six String Sermon CD? I found it used in a record store a few months ago. It has some great demo stuff. It also has my favorite version of Devil in the Woods.

tache3Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2014 - 03:05 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the reply but I was thinking more of the quality of the band's performance on the live disc, rather than the audio quality of the re-press to be honest. Its pretty well known that Jeffrey Lee's 'recreational influences' sometimes lead to fairly questionable performances and I just wondered if this was one of them and is not worth bothering with.

ManimalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2014 - 06:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Most of the live boots I've heard are pretty bad, mumbled or made up lyrics being sung out of time, but some of them are good, with JLP saying some funny stuff between songs.

tache3Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 04:40 AM
Level 2
Level 2

After a bit more research, I've come across a nugget of information that states that the live disc is the same as the live set from the 'Early Warning' CD. I'll try and find a streaming version of this to check it out when I get back from work later.

tache3Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 02:32 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The album is available on Spotify. Sounds like it is a recording made through the mixing desk (and transferred direct from cassette judging by the flutter and occasional treble drop out). JLP is lucid and on form. Its pretty good overall, I certainly have worse quality live recordings by other artists, and the versions of 'Watermelon Man' and 'Walking With The Beast' differ remarkably from the studio versions.

I think I would like the whole 'Early Warning' album in its own right (the other disc looks pretty interesting) therefore there will be no need to obtain the' Miami' re-issue. So, an original pressing on Animal (Animal/Chrysalis in the UK) will be going on the want list. Thanks to Manimal for the responses.

Jump to: