The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: "ABANDONED III "  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 - 04:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As we continue...

AL SILVER
" Those stories will still be told about Alan Freed long after I'm gone "
" During his troubles, he came back to the city again about May or June 1960 "
" Most of the people he'd known turned their back on him, almost to a man "
" Artie Ripp had worked for Georgie Goldner, Artie and his wife Phyllis put Alan up for three months, he had no money, he slept on their couch "
" He and Moishe ( Levy ) split-up back in '57 because he gave Alan 25% of Roulette, and then Freed sold that share to some wise guys "

JERRY BLAINE:
" It was his ( Alan Freed ) arrogance, he had a huge ego, the scale of his conceit, that's what got him in the end "
" He used to hold court as they say, he was good to JUBILEE, I'm first to say that, he liked our records, but other labels didn't fair so well, he really didn't like guys like Morty Craft very much, he liked the music, but he didn't like some people "
" Somehow Freed seemed to know that some of Craft's labels were financed by Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines "

" The man you should talk to is Hymie Weiss, he's not far from here, go over to the Wodbury Estate here on Long Island, just look for the most dilapidated large house, that'll be his "
" He doesn't talk much about those days, but I would be interested if you do get to him " *
(* Note: with the number from Mister Blaine, I called Hy Weiss....He said:
" That's old hat, I've got nothing else to say " )

LANCE FREED
" If someone should ask me what gets to me the most, it has to be the rumours about my father that are still spread around ( even ) now without foundation "
" There's always Morris Levy, frankly, I like him, but to blame my father for bringing in certain types to the business, you have to laugh "
" Men like Johnny Brantley and Jack Hooke, they both took money from people that wanted to see my father, without his knowledge "
" Morris Levy often has love-hate relationships with people, look at George Goldner through all those times "

" I was young then, but I'd spoken with my father about it all when I was older "
" If everybody listens to Morris Levy, who thinks my father corrupted ROULETTE, then Screamin' Jay Hawkins should be the Pope "
" My father made $ 15,000 a year, not 75... which some papers reported "

ME:
" When your dad came out here, is it true that he was helped by people like Art Laboe, and Bob Keene ? "

LF:
" Art Laboe helped a lot of people, he's a great guy, but it was Mel Leeds who put my father with KDAY "
" Mel had been the P.D. ( Program Director ) for WINS, then came here to KDAY"
" And who else did you mention, is that the man that had MUSTANG ?"

ME:
" Yes, I was told that Bob Keene leased a Thunderbird for your dad when he arrived "

LF:
" Oh, I think you're right, there was a rented car for a month or two, but I don't remember how that worked, or just what model it was "

" When we moved to Palm Springs, my dad said he was going to buy a big old yellow school bus, and we were going to travel all over the country in it "
" My sister lived with my mother in North Carolina, but she'd come out for the summers, and Christmas "

" We thought everything was getting back to normal, my father was on KNOB, but they selected everything he played, he just didn't operate like that, he wasn't happy and they sold the station after he left "
" Then in 1964, the I.R.S. hit him, they took all of his assets, they didn't get the house in Palm Springs because of a law that forbids them from taking the roof from over your head "

AL SILVER:
" I had to testify too, I was there for two days, and on both of them, Alan also had his say "
" I think what it really boiled down to was that Alan Freed would not play any ' cover ' records from any label, and he said so, and that didn't set well with A.S.C.A.P.
They wanted his head, the big man was Judge Harris, he had a strange first name, but how's this for fate "...
" The secretary on the sub-committee was a lady by the name of Elizabeth Paola "

To be continued...

Thank you.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: "ABANDONED III "  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 - 11:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've had a fascination with Alan Freed for years. Definitely far from perfect, but after reading a couple of books about him, I've gotten the feeling that he did get a raw deal in some ways. Granted, he did some illegal things, but I really don't know if he deserved to end up the way he did. I still don't get how Dick Clark squeaked through. THAT guy was smooth!

Thanks for the excerpts. It's kind of a novelty to see people actually say nice things about Morris Levy.

If anybody is interested, here's an aircheck of Alan Freed from 1955. It's a great listen, both for the music and the man.

https://archive.org/details/AlanFreed-WinsNewYorkMarch231955

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: "ABANDONED III "  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 - 06:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

yes, it is unusual to hear anyone say anything good about morris levy. i have always been a alan freed fan, i like the way he would play records based entirely on their content when many others would play records based on the color of the artists skin or "other" things i won't delve into. ty Heidler for the great read, i enjoyed every word. your interviews make me fell like i was there with you. again i wish i had taken more pictures, saved more paperwork, and recorded more of the things that were happening around me both at the drag strip and on the radio.

Heidler
Post subject: "ABANDONED III "  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2014 - 06:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Gentlemen;

Thank you for your thoughts and inputs.

Time permitting ( I depart Saturday, spending Friday night in Venice, which is closer to L.A.X. then I am here )

Yes, it's always interesting to get alternate views and opinions, particularly on such controversial people such as Morris Levy.
As the interview prgressed, Lance Freed pointed out why he " liked " Mister Levy ( when not too many people did )

Regarding Alan Freed, there will also be other information from additional sources including: { EXCERPTS }

Lester Sill: ( who spent two years in New York City )

Stan Shulman: Manager of Ray Peterson and co-owner of the DUNES label ( along with Peterson )

Dick(ie ) Kline: One time Head of Promotion for Atlantic Records

Vince Faraci: Promotional Manager for Atlantic Records { New Orleans }

Joe Banashak: Co-owner of several labels, including MINIT and INSTANT Records.
( also worked for A-1 Distributors of New Orleans )

Morton ( ' Morty ' ) Craft: Orchestra leader ( knew Jerry Blaine well ) Arranger, Composer , Owner ( and co-owner ) of several now-legendary imprints ( including BRUCE, MELBA, LANCE, etc ) as well as working for MERCURY, ABC PARAMOUNT, and MGM Records and running the WARWICK label for then-owners, United Telefilm of Canada * (* and " all around crook, the worst " according to Lester Sill )

Ray Maxwell: ( rn: Rene Jan Van Hooten ) President of MOONGLOW Records, first based in New York City, then Hollywood, and the first label to record Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield as " The Righteous Brothers "

So there's more....Stay tuned....

Thanks.

H

Jump to: