The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2014 - 08:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As we continue...

EXCERPTS ONLY!

ME:
" Far from ( me ) wanting to insult you, or the memory of your dad, I have been told that he had no rhythm, he could barely keep time, he never was known to write any poetry, so he could not have possibly written those songs, especially some of those big hits, that his name appears on some labels "

LF:
" I think I know what you mean, but I might have a bit of a big surprise for you, my father read and wrote a little poetry, but you're referring to the CHESS records... right? "

ME:
" Yes, that's the label I've most noticed his name on the credits, on CHESS "

LF:
" I know this shouldn't change things, but that was quite the normal practice in the 50's, people are far more protected today, but if Leonard ( Chess ) wanted to add my father's name to insure it would get played, it was his decision, NOT my father's "
" At the time of " Maybelline " he ( Freed ) couldn't have had any idea about publishing, he was smart, he knew about money, but if it was offered by CHESS, so who can explain that ? "

ME:
" I've seen some paper-work in which named your dad was listed as one of the major stock-holders in ARC Music "

LF:
" I'd like to see that, my father had an early label, CHAMPAGNE, he lost far more money than he ever made from it, and CHESS had arranged to get The Moonglows from him, but that's all "
" Leonard ( Chess... rn:Chez ) must have done that with ARC to thank him in some way "
" There's a guy in Louisiana, a big record distributor, and HE did the same thing "

ME:
" I know that Morris Levy added his name to " Why Do Fools Fall In Love " and then it's disappeared again, depending what label you see it on "

LF:
" Well, you see, they all did it, I know what you're saying, I've seen Goldner, Lymon, Levy, then it changed again "

ME:
" So you don't think that's wrong ?"

LF:
" Oh no, it may be wrong, but I don't accept my father being singled-out as someone who spent his time trying to figure out how to screw-over somebody that made a good record"
" My father loved George Goldner, all he had to see was something on RAMA, he'd play it, same goes for END and GONE "
" Such a beautiful guy, George Goldner, HE didn't forget my father, neither did Hy Weiss "
" He ( Weiss ) invited my father out to dinner, more than once, he knew what had happened when Alan Freed would play an OLD TOWN record, sales would increase virtually over-night, as much as 20 or 25 % "

" I love his ( Weiss ) old sayings like:
" The 50's were like an old pair of comfortable slippers, you remember how nice they were, but you don't want to wear them anymore "

" The best one, it's always stayed with me, about what happened to these smaller labels:
" So you live in a tent with a baby elephant, eventually, the beast takes-over the entire tent, and throws your butt out "

ME:
" You've mentioned that you like Morris Levy "
" Can you tell me anything about him ? "

LF:
" Sure I can, and we don't have to look over our shoulder here " { laughter }
" I know all about the negative side, the bad press, always ROULETTE "

" From those times, there were three men who did NOT shun my father, and one of them was ( Morris ) Levy "
" If I can say just this "
" Morris Levy gives an awful lit of money to charity, not just the UJF ( United Jewish Fund ) but to the Catholics too, sure it might be a ( tax ) write-off, he's is a multi-millionaire, ( but ) he helped my father in more ways than people could ever know "

" He ( Alan Freed ) told me that he should have listened to Morris Levy from the very beginning, I know he regretted that he'd ignored him " ( Levy )
" My father saw too straight, he wore blinders, there was never any neutral with him, he wasn't, he couldn't, be flexible and there was only heads or tails "

" YOU can print this, you've got it all there anyway " ( recorder )
" Morris Levy helped my father, really helped him "
" He'd ( Levy ) told him to keep his mouth shut, but my father spoke to the press anyway "

" In 1962, it was Morris Levy that paid for him ( Freed ) to fly down to Miami and live in a pretty nice hotel, near the strip "
" Thanks to him ( Levy ) my father could get a decent place, remember, NOW he's a convicted criminal, at least in the eyes of the authorities in Florida, so trying to get a place then, you might as well have been directly related to Castro "

AL SILVER:
" I was coming here { Florida } for my breaks, a few years before Alan { Freed } ever showed-up "
" I was sitting outside of my rental, and somebody called me and said: "
" Hey, go-over to WQAM, Alan Freed is on "

" Sure enough, there he is, it was Alan ( Freed ) but the fire was gone, he still knew all about what he was playing, he took dedications, he knew the format, he KNEW what it was about "

" Well, if somebody else is selecting your records, and you're Alan Freed, they want to make sure nobody can get to you, the bribes wouldn't happen, I don't know, what's all that about ? "
" They wanted to make sure Alan Freed knew his place, I remember reading he ( Freed ) took them ( WQAM ) from something like number twenty in the ratings to the TOP THREE in just two or three months "

" Florida seemed to remember Alan Freed, I'm not sure California accepted him in the same way "

LANCE FREED:
" Like Florida, and California, how could the pigeon-hole Alan Freed ? "
" If he were alive today, and was on the air here, they'd have some very serious competition, but he would still need that station to get behind him "

ME:
" Did you want to follow in his footsteps ? "

LF:
" No, not at all, I'm here for the love of the job, but I started out at UCLA, first with pre-med, and some law "
" I never gave any thought to radio "
" How do you follow Alan Freed ?"

LESTER SILL: ( 1968 )
" Man, that name is still a draw, he died a few years ago ( 1965 ) but I'll tell you what, NOBODY can discuss the early days of Rock 'N' Roll or Rhythm and Blues without mentioning HIM " { Alan Freed }
" Come on, if they don't bring him up, then it's not worth reading or talking about, you might as well hang-it-up " "

STAN SHULMAN:
" I was there, I was usually back-stage for a lot of those performances, that's so damned funny, Alan Freed didn't have to worry about the riots and the cops, he must have spent thousands trying to keep the peace between Jerry Lee { Lewis } and Chuck { Berry } "
" He ( Freed ) only seemed interested in the gate, he really didn't seem to care about anybody else "
" We're talking guns and knives, even relatives choking these guys, really serious life -threatening choke-holds, I'm really very surprised that one of them didn't get killed "
" Ray { Peterson } hated appearing on those bills, even after 1959, Ray is a mellow guy, he likes everybody to get along "

" God, it was horrible, there was no camaraderie at all, only Fats Domino didn't seem to care about how he was timed to perform, a really nice man "
" You look at the program, everybody smiling, some of them with their name in lights, for $ 2.00 you could see a film and your in-person stars "

" I was at The Apollo when Buddy Holly first came on, you could see the audience was in shock, these Texas white boys, but that was the best response I ever saw, they did a job on them, they were just as good as they ever could be "

" I liked Holly, he was one true musician, a real humble guy, I'm really not too sure about ( Alan ) Freed, he seemed like he had the voice, a lot of fans listened to him on the radio, he had a big audience, but live, on-stage, something lacked, he was there in his tweed coat and bow-tie, but he was different back-stage , really quiet, sort of melancholy "
" He'd go off on his own until the next curtain-call "

" I remember that, and you can quote me "

To be continued.... ( Time permitting )

Thank you.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2014 - 10:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

great stories Heidler, you have changed my opinion of Morris Levy, you know Jerry Blavet has came out in support of him [Morris] also. i guess if you didn't cross him he treated you fairly, that's about all an artist could ask for. as for the things that went on back then in the record business it's easy for folks to find fault today with the way they did business in the heyday of R&R but that was a different time. i love Lance Freed's comment when asked if he ever wanted to follow in his fathers line of trade. remind me to tell you about the "Impacts" first record on parkway when we get together this summer. i'm looking forward to seeing some of the famous cal. landmarks.

Heidler
Post subject: "ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 - 02:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi again wurlitzer1450.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and inputs.

I too am looking forward to your visit, I'll have some time off in June and would be happy to show you whatever you might want to see around this now over-crowded Southern California.
Not much in Hollywood anymore, but some of the old sights are still there, and of course, there's Malibu, where one can still see some outstanding cars from past eras, and the old " cruising " areas of Van Nuys Blvd, Whittier Blvd, and if we go down far enough, we'll have a brew aboard the Queen Mary ( she's berthed at Long Beach )

There IS a lot to do and see here, you can decide when you come out.
I'm a ' hermit ' (no, I don't know Peter Noone ) but I do get out occasionally.

I'll send you directions, if you can get to Tehachapi, say, stop at Denny's ( easy enough to find ) then call me, I'll come and get you, then you can follow me up to Bear Valley Springs.
There is a guarded gate* so you won't get in on your own.
{* No, we're not snooty, the gate is actually there to protect the wildlife from hunters, as it is a 'protected ' area }
Most every early morning, I can look out my kitchen window and see several deer that come right into the yard on that side of the house, and there they remain un-disturbed, until they decide to saunter off .

I'm not against hunting, as long as one eats what they shoot or trap.
( Guess that let's me out as a candidate for the Sherriff's Department! )

I think I've mentioned this to you, but there's plenty of fishing around here, and close by. Some of the lakes and ponds are regularly ' stocked ' and a permit is available at the store for a few bucks ( I think it's good for a week ?...I'll check )
It still strikes me as a bit strange, that there are few people around, a lot less than you'd expect as far as fishing goes, and the only hikers up in the hills are people that are living here. Some have numerous horses on their properties.

Looking forward to chats as well, and if you don't mind, I may run a tape during our sessions ( I keep everything! )
Remind me to drag out the box or two of the 'novelty ' things, I know where they are.

Which reminds me, I have a one-page ' bio' ( no photo ) from Cameo / Parkway ( 1405 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA ) dated 1963 for a group by the name of The IMPACS ( as opposed to " Impacts " )

The IMPACS were from Fort Lauderdale, Florida and were named as Jay Angelo, Bobby Barnes, Tony Brown, Chuck Kannis, and lead-singer Vic Waters.

In addition, to quote part of the 'bio '
" All of the guys play their own instruments and often trade-off vocal duties "
" We're sure this talented group of Floridians will go far "

They went " far " alright....all the way to Cincinnati-based KING Records, where the group found some regional success with " Jo-Ann " from 1964 ( King # 5851 )

( King sent me lots of ' bios ' but nothing on this group, probably because the company was quite well-known for printing short, but concise ' bios ' on their promotional-label copies and didn't seem to spend additional monies on printed-paper ' bios ' except on their better-known artists such as James Brown, Hank Ballard, and Little Willie John, etc, however, once they sent me stuff on King artists Cowboy Copas and Hackshaw Hawkins! )

Supply run later today. Need some things for the trip ( including batteries for my shaver )
I don't want to be looking like Osama Cut-Out Bin when I go through passport control!

See you soon!

H

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: "ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 - 07:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As a kid, I used to listen to my mom's 78 copy of Maybellene all the time. It's in storage at the moment, so I went online to look at images of the 78 because I couldn't remember if Freed's name appeared on her copy or not.

She had a green and white label copy, and the ones I found online only show Berry's name. However, reissue copies (the yellow and black "Blue Chip" series and some sort of blue and white label from the recent past) show Berry, Freed, and R. Frotto.

What I'm wondering is:

1. When did the other names start appearing in the credits?
2. Who the heck is R. Frotto anyway?

Thanks as always, Heidler. PS....if you get a chance before you head out of town, please check your private messages. I have a question for you.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: "ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 - 10:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

thanks Heidler, i'll set my gps for Denny's in Tehachapi when you send me the address and it'll find it. i'm looking forward to the meeting but we don't need to go fishing, i can do that here in the mountains of northern nm, col., and of coarse my home state of wyoming. i also still go to dutch john utah once a year or so, sandy and i spent many happy days there.

sorry, i spelled Impacs' incorrectly in the above post. here's the link to the impacs 45 on parkway, it should've been a hit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8k23ppyjeA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHJWAnXB68 Jay Angello was a regular in my record shops in col springs in the early 80s, great guy, he's a wealth of information and remembers the early 60s just like it was yesterday. i'll relate some of his stories to you when we meet up.

Heidler
Post subject: " ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 - 11:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello Record-Fans...

Youz guys always have some great inputs and questions...

mackdaddyg:

It is my understanding that Russ Fratto ( one-third of the ' writing credits ' ) was a local DJ and a good friend of Chuck Berry.
( The rumour that Fratto was a ' label- printer ' is in error )

Ralph Bass:

" Chuck was smarter than the average recording artist from the period "
" He ( Berry ) asked his friend Russ Fratto if he'd also add his name to the song to insure Chuck got a fair royalty " ( this was BEFORE the name Freed was also added by Chess )
" Fratto gave his share of the royalties to Berry, and played the record ( " Maybellene " ) to death "
" On the other hand, Alan Freed didn't give any of his share to Chuck ( he wasn't asked to ) but he no-doubt helped to make it a hit "

All of my early-issue Blue / Silver Chess copies ( 1 x 78 and 3 x 45 ) have all three names on the label (" Maybellene " ) and a later issue has only " C. Berry " as the composer of the song* ( * originally the tune " Ida Red " )

Hope this was of some help.

I'll be checking emails this afternoon ( I'll make sure I read yours )

Thanks.

Hello wurlitzer1450

Good stuff!

I usually found the difference between the artists version of an event ( or events ) and the producer / label owner relating the same story often conflicting, or worse, disputed.

That itself made compiling files for the book somewhat difficult to say the least.
( The publisher has taken another seven months to verify information, their staff picked at random )

Example:

The late Johnny Maestro ( rn: Mastrangelo ) of The Crests did not tell me that it was HE that brought The Duprees to COED Records, instead, that information came from George Paxton, co-owner of the label.

I spoke with the great Johnny Maestro when he was with million-selling The Brooklyn Bridge.
He loved being asked about The Crests, one of the best-ever New York City-based groups. Johnny was also an ex-Del Satin.

I interviewed Johnny at his home in Florida ( he died there in 2010 )

Very much missed.

Crank this in to your GPS ( few people around here use it, for fear of being taken over a cliff in the dark )

DENNY'S ( Tehachapi )
9000 Magellan Street
Tehachapi, Ca. 93561

Just down the street from where I store all of my junk ( man, I hope there aren't any records in there ! )

When I return, I'll P.M. you with my contact details.
( 2 x land-line with two numbers, and two cell- phone numbers)
When you arrive, better to call on one of the land-line numbers ( I'll be here, call anytime you arrive, don't worry if it's early or late in the day )

Time to inventory my gear, like the Rose Garden song:
" I'm on the next plane to Lon-don "
( but I don't think it's " leaving on runway number nine " )

Hopefully, I can get the last instalment in late tonight ( "ABANDONED V " )

Thanks for posting.

H

Heidler
Post subject: " ABANDONED IV "  PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 - 10:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Goodnight Canfield...

We shall pass in the night ( bring your own music! ) and I promise you... ..
I'll look for those British-issued FONTANA - label issues that you want....

First stop - Amsterdam, then London ( two nights ) by train from Liverpool Street ( Station ) to Norfolk ( Norwich station ) then ( car to ) Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, north to Cumbria ( LOVE the Lake District, staying right on Coniston Water ) back down to Northamptonshire, on to Suffolk ( Southwold ) staying a few doors down from Michael Palin ( Monty Python ) then back to London /Ammsterdam

What an itinerary, I bought my first Dansette ( Senator ) at Southwold some years ago, and it's still working... on the kitchen table!
I want more, more, more!

Last trip, I covered most of the record shops that are left in London...evil....
BUT....other shops, from Greenwich to Brighton and up in Inverness ( Scotland ) still offer the bargains to be had ( if one is willing to search )

Won't be doing Scotland this time, but I will return !
What a wonderful country, they really should succeed from England!
( EVIL Cameron, EVIL Osborne, EVIL Home Secretary, I think her name is May )

So getting it together for L.A.X.
Will be picked-up later this afternoon.

So long boyz.

H

Jump to: