The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 12:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:

Sell in bulk or one-by-one thru Ebay? It depends on how much time and effort you want to spend. In theory, you'll realize greater return selling on Ebay. But, what is your time worth?

If you've got some good stuff, it is definitely worth the time to learn about the records and pick through them to find the value records and list/grade them properly. My best advice when determining value is to not use current ebay/discogs listings, but both completed ebay listings and (if the record is valued at more than $25) popsike listings. It can be a bit of a learning curve, but just be glad it's not classical records you're dealing with (I still don't know my way around those after 8 years in the hobby). It's fair to say that most of us can flip through thrift store stacks at a quick pace and determine what looks interesting to us (both musically and monetarily) often just by the cover, but for someone new to the hobby, it can be daunting.

I'm also curious about the location, being in Canada, but I'm definitely not in a position to make an offer (either monetarily or space wise Laughing ).

Reply with quote Back to top
Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 - 01:56 PM
Level 2
Level 2

East Coast Area near New Brunswick

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 15, 2013 - 11:23 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Could you assign a rough estimate to something like this that would be cover an insurance value. Or even worth getting insurance? Could you estimate that you'd be able to flip each record for $0.75? would that be accurate, and in the short time before sorting begins what would be the most accurate way to come up with that value

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 REC  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 04:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jordo12 wrote:
Or even worth getting insurance?

No.

Jordo12 wrote:
Could you estimate that you'd be able to flip each record for $0.75? would that be accurate, and in the short time before sorting begins what would be the most accurate way to come up with that value

It's absolutely unknown from the info you've provided so far. There is no way to assign any "average value" without knowing about the artists, titles, pressings, condition. Your 8000 records could be worth $200. or they could be worth $15,000. Anyone who knows records, though, could give you a pretty fair guesstimate if they looked them over for a half-hour.

BlackBUffaloOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 REC  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:13 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Jordo12 wrote:
East Coast Area near New Brunswick

Where in NB? Im located in Halifax and run Black Buffalo Records and Halifax Reocrd Fair. I have a lot of expeience with large collections (recently aquired over 20,000 pieces from the CBC) and would be able to help you with any question you may have. A list of some of the titles and condition would certainly help figure out the worth of your collection.

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2014 - 04:16 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I'm going to be in toronto in october, right now the records are on the east coast near new brunswick

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2014 - 04:28 PM
Level 2
Level 2

well I'm pei right now, charlottetown to be exact my email address jliantzakis@gmail.com if you would like to contact me any further

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2014 - 04:29 PM
Level 2
Level 2

i also just came into another collection of the same amount of records, the elderly gentleman i spoke of earlier had a great friend that passed away with a collection of roughly 7 to 8000 i now have close to 16000 and would be interested to talk

recordsplusOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2014 - 08:14 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Pm sent

vinylvillela
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2014 - 09:47 PM
Level 5
Level 5

There could be one record in there worth thousands.

Or not.

A good rule of thumb... if it is well known artists such as bing crosby or andy williams...
don't waste time with that... consider it fodder. (shame, good old music)

Another rule of thumb is condition. if something is trashed, it has little or no value.

Sort out any trashed records.
Sort out uber well known elevator music artists (ames brothers, etc)

What remains is the stuff that is likely worth looking through...

hope this helps.

also, just because a price guide says a doris day record is worth 40 dollars,
doesn't mean that is reality.

good luck.
something in there has to be interesting.

Jump to: