The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WOFOffline
Post subject: 45 player repair  PostPosted: Apr 16, 2014 - 10:53 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Last weekend I purchased a RCA 45-ey-2 record player. The changer seems to work flawlessly, but unfortunately the amp has a problem. Once the tubes warm up it produces a loud steady buzz that does not vary when the volume control is adjusted and there is no sound from the stylus. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I contact one of the online repair shops? Thanks for any help.
WOF

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: 45 player repair  PostPosted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Did you check the tubes to make sure they are firmly seated? Also, after they have warmed up, you could try tapping them with a wooden pencil to see if it has any effect.

Now, I take it that all the tubes are lit. Though, this does not mean that they are all good. If you know someone with a tube checker, that would be the next step. If not, there is a test for checking the heater continuity with a multimeter, which unfortunately I don't recall.

Here is a link on tubes, a general intro along with identifying a bad tube through visual inspection, hope it helps: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-out-if-an-Electronic-Tube-Is-Good

As for the buzzing, it could be caused by a faulty capacitor or transformer, more likely a capacitor.

WOFOffline
Post subject: RE: 45 player repair  PostPosted: Apr 27, 2014 - 09:32 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Did a lot of internet searching and found several places that will repair my player, but am going to check with fellow recommended by Rich at Rhythm Records in Bismarck ND. When I get it fixed will post a pic.

Jump to: