The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 09:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

here's some scans of kinda unusual 45s from the riverside radio station. notice the unusual numbering, each side is numbered differently.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 09:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

this one came with a hard cover, again notice how capitol numbered each side differently.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 09:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i didn't find a cover for this one but it likely had one when it was sent to the station. i find that cal. seems to have many more "unusual" promo things like this. i think it's because of their close proximity to the major labels based there and of coarse the movie industry in hollywood.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 09:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i'm not a pop fan so i usually don't keep anything like these unless i have some personal connection to them. this one is a real turn off because of the writing on the label, i like clean labels.

rockolaOffline
Post subject: RE: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 11:48 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Oh yes, I remember we got these together, what an adventurous trip, we had lots of fun, including the time when we got locked out from our motel room Smile Thanks to my lover Wurlitzer1450 for bringing me along during the trip, it was a very memorable experience for me.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 11:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
... notice the unusual numbering, each side is numbered differently.
Capitol's promotional-only PRO (SPRO) series assigned a unique number to the sides (some are one-sided), not to the record, from the early 1950s. I'm guessing there was a good reason for this, and I'd like to hear it.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 - 11:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

capitol had some weird numbering systems, i remember having some hank thompson purple label 45s that were re-pressings of the early 78s and had the 3 digit 78 record numbers. i also have a five keys pro 45 with a 3 digit number

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2014 - 09:37 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Capitol's numbering system for 78s is particularly bad. They changed things around a couple times in the late '40s-early '50s, so you get numbers like these on Peggy Lee 78s: 218, 262, 293, 15009, 15022, 57-602, 57-703, 1513, and 1544. What were they thinking?

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: some pop promo 45s from KRPO  PostPosted: May 17, 2014 - 05:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Personally, wurl, I don't mind a little "WOL" on my promos - they add a little provenance, such as the radio station call letters where they came from, the library number (especially neat when you have the matching sleeve) and nifty little programmer comments like "real good" (from my promo of The Sir Douglas Quintet's "She's About A Mover") or "DON'T PLAY" (which I've seen several times). Then there's the self-proclaimed prophets who scribbled pen all over the Raindrops' side "The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget" in favor of its flip side...and which one charted, folks?

Jump to: