The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NodwelOffline
Post subject: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan Lomax  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2014 - 12:06 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I have a collection of 1st issue American Folk music albums from the Library of Congress Recording Laboratory. They were issued as 78 rpm records between 1940 and 1942, They feature field recordings by the Lomax Family done between 1935 and 1941. There are 9 albums in all covering all genres of American Folk from Ballads, Blues, Early Jazz to Work songs, religious songs, and Native American songs. Can any one give me an idea of value and where to find interested collectors?
Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan Loma  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2014 - 02:17 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hi and welcome to the RCG. You might try searching on Popsike.com and collectorsfrenzy.com for completed auctions on specific titles.

If this is the series edited by Richard Spotswood and numbered "LBC 1", "LBC 2", (fifteen volumes in all), I have the entire set. A few show up here on collectorsfrenzy:

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=folk+music+of+america&search-button=

NodwelOffline
Post subject: RE: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan Loma  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2014 - 07:41 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cowboy. Thanks for the welcome! This collection was primarily edited by Alan Lomax. Thanks for the suggestion of Popsike and collectors frenzy. I have checked those sites out and found completed auctions for some. The issue is finding some buyers willing to pay the values I find at those sites.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan  PostPosted: Jun 14, 2014 - 12:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nodwel wrote:
The issue is finding some buyers willing to pay the values I find at those sites.

The only way to get those prices is to sell on eBay or be a record dealer. If you're not a dealer and selling locally expect to be offered much less.

p.s. I dig those old LOC field recordings. I've only got a couple cd comps though.

hartwiseOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2014 - 06:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:

If this is the series edited by Richard Spotswood and numbered "LBC 1", "LBC 2", (fifteen volumes in all), I have the entire set. A few show up here on collectorsfrenzy:

Interesting you should mention this set Cactus. I found 11 volumes of this yesterday at a yard sale, 10 of which are still sealed. Only volume 3 has been opened. You wouldn't happen to have dupes of volumes 1, 5, 9 and 13 would you? I'm missing those and am now on full search mode. So if anyone has them please let me know. Thanks!

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Library of Congress Recording Albums edited by Alan  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2014 - 01:06 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

hartwise wrote:
CactusCowboy wrote:

Interesting you should mention this set Cactus. I found 11 volumes of this yesterday at a yard sale, 10 of which are still sealed. Only volume 3 has been opened. You wouldn't happen to have dupes of volumes 1, 5, 9 and 13 would you? I'm missing those and am now on full search mode. So if anyone has them please let me know. Thanks!

I found the entire series in a bulk lot (from Casper College, Wyoming) last summer. Sorry, no dupes.

It is an excellent series. There's a lot of variety and some really obscure recordings.

Jump to: