The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Virtualman64Offline
Post subject: New Turntable,and System?  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 09:47 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hey Guys,and Gals,
I'm in the market for a direct drive turntable.It seems that when I grew up in the 70"s all the systems came with everything included.I know I'll need a receiver,and speakers of course.But,I'm not really sure which receivers are compatable with which turntables etc.I'm also looking for something that won't break the bank.Help!
Thanks! Confused

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: New Turntable,and System?  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 12:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Virtualman64 wrote:
But,I'm not really sure which receivers are compatable with which turntables etc.I'm also looking for something that won't break the bank.

You'll need a receiver with a phono input or if it doesn't have one you can get an external phono preamp. It's not the table that determines whether or not the receiver/phono preamp will work, but the cartridge instead. If you're looking for an introductory level system then you're probably gonna want to go with moving magnet (mm) cartridges. They are cheaper on the whole and receivers/phono preamps are general geared towards being compliant with them. Moving magnet is/was basically the "standard" with only some phono preamps, be they in the receiver/integrated or external, being moving coil (mc) compliant.

What's your budget & what do you need? If you're open to the used market there's lots to choose from. New amps don't always have phono inputs so you may have to get an external phono preamp if you go that route.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: