The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
coral99Offline
Post subject: HELP: Favorite way to bid on records at auction?  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2014 - 09:17 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My name is Matt and I am conducting a survey of music collectors, dealers, and enthusiasts who regularly participate in auctions. Specifically, I am trying to get an understanding of how the auction landscape is changing as more live, non-Ebay auctions offer an online component. I would like to request your help by taking a brief 10 question survey about your bidding and auction preferences here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KMSVZNW

There is no cost and I can offer only my gratitude for your help. I appreciate any and all responses and questions.

Mods - I am real and this is not spam but if you feel this does not belong in your forum, please let me know and I will be happy to take it down.

Best,

Matt

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: HELP: Favorite way to bid on records at auction?  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2014 - 09:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

For serious record auctions, nearly everything of note is on eBay. That's because they have captured the core of big-money bidders on a worldwide basis. Sellers just cannot get decent prices anywhere else because the buyers just aren't there.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: HELP: Favorite way to bid on records at auction?  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2014 - 07:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinyl1 wrote:
For serious record auctions, nearly everything of note is on eBay. That's because they have captured the core of big-money bidders on a worldwide basis. Sellers just cannot get decent prices anywhere else because the buyers just aren't there.

Just to add to that: the market is the reason that sellers use ebay and are willing to put up with the fees and other seller responsibility policies (that often favour the [sometimes fraudulent or unreasonably expectant] buyer). Though the latter is likely avoided on a high-priced item which would certainly be shipped with insurance/delivery confirmation, the fees are still ever-present.

If the purpose of the survey is to gauge interest in a similar service, then the only thing you could really offer over ebay are smaller/no fees, but then how would you make your money?

Jump to: