The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
no_dude
Post subject: Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 02:46 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Bought this Beatles Red album. Shrink is in perfect place, vinyl is like new. These two circular stickers have me confounded. Can't find anything on the net that relate to them.

Anyone have any idea what they're for? Also there is a red piece of paper glued to the shrink with each album's song listing.

It's your standard: Apple Records ‎– SKBO 3403

Thanks

Red Album.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.41 KB
 Viewed:  1450 Time(s)

Red Album.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 03:38 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

They look like dealers price stickers to me.

The track list sticker is original to the artwork, see - http://www.fab4collectibles.com/apple-LPs3.htm - seems you might have found a bit of a rarity (but I'm no Beatles expert).

Not sure if this is any help, but I found this snippet;

" In October of 1986, Rose Records ...... bought out the Laury`s Records chain (picking up Laury`s four stores in the Loop, Evanston, Niles and Deerfield) ... "

no_dude
Post subject: RE: Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 02:15 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you very much. Thankfully my old copy was shite and I saw this one for $30.

You're right. It's exactly like that one. Wonder why a xerox like that would make it so rare. Anyway, I'll do some more research. Many thanks.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 03:43 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm not familiar with Laury's chain, but many chain and department stores put price code stickers on LP covers, with a reference to a sign which assigned prices to the various codes. It was simpler to update the signs whenever prices changed, than to resticker every LP.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 04:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

First off, sealed copies are not that scarce, and there are very few dealers in the world who could get $475 for a copy. There's one on eBay right now with a $188 asking price and no takers. The highest-priced copy that has SOLD in the last month went for $80.

Laury's Records was a Chicago retailer that eventually had four stores open in the area. They were bought out by Rose Records in 1986.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 - 06:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

namralos wrote:
Laury's Records was a Chicago retailer that eventually had four stores open in the area. They were bought out by Rose Records in 1986.

Is Laury's Records any relation to Laurie's Records (different spelling) in Chicago? Laurie's was still active when I visited in 2012 (or was it 2011?).

no_dude
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 - 03:59 PM
Level 2
Level 2

namralos wrote:
First off, sealed copies are not that scarce, and there are very few dealers in the world who could get $475 for a copy. There's one on eBay right now with a $188 asking price and no takers. The highest-priced copy that has SOLD in the last month went for $80.

I sort of knew this from looking at Popsike—last one sold like that sold for $55. Sadly they’re just looking for some sucker to come along and pay that $475. I see NM ones all the time.

Either way, the album is pristine and I have a nice double LP now.

Jump to: