The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sandwich71Offline
Post subject: The Zombies Odessey And Oracle Lp  PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 - 11:36 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I posted this question on another section but want to make sure Neal seen it.

I have a copy of The Zombies Odessey And Oracle Lp 1968 Date 4013 Canadian pressing and would like to know as much as possible about this very rare pressing from
Canada.

Any reply is super!

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2014 - 03:58 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

SANDWICH71

Historically, Canadian pressings of US records are not a big deal, usually selling for about 2/3 the price of the American record. Of course, with the fluctuation of the dollar due to our fekked up run-amok economy, that ratio may no longer hold true, Still, I would assume the Canadian pressing worth less than the original.

As to ODYSSEY AND ORACLE: I don't know why you consider it a rarity. Is there something about the Canadian pressing that I don't know?

Hoping to hear from you!!!

NEAL

sandwich71Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2014 - 02:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neal, I would say the Canadian pressing is more rare from just numbers
seen for sale, etc... I hardly ever see a Canadian pressing of this album, always
the U.S. So, that'd be a fact so to speak.

I also have the U.S Date pressing. I wouldn't agree with it being less value than the
U.S, both are Date labels and same year. Both Date versions are 2nd issues of this
Lp, as the CBS being true 1st. So to me, the Can or U.S pressing in Date would be equal in value.

My opinion, but appreciate your comments.

Smile

Dr.DarkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2014 - 06:00 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I have a nm Polish pressing of this LP on Pronit SXL 0933 (different Cover) bought in Poland in September 1984 for a mere 65 Zloty (something like 4 or 5 $).
Ideas on value, anyone?

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2014 - 12:41 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

SANDWICH71

First, ODYSSEY AND ORACLE was first issued in the UK by CBS. First pressings of this album in the US and Canada are on Date, a subsidiary of CBS/Columbia. Also, there are first and second printings of this title in the US with different front covers. Apparently, sellers on eBay are not aware of this and few second "presses" are advertised s such.

Neither your opinion nor mine has any effect on what collectors pay for records. As stated, historically, Canadian pressings have always sold for considerably less than US pressings unless it was a Canadian original. One of the reasons for this is that many Canadian records of the ''60s were pressed on noticeably inferior vinyl and simply do not sound as good as the American versions.

Thankfully, doe to the internet, those Canadian pressings that are good or rarer than their US counterparts are picking up in value.

Second, the only sales via eBay of a Canadian ODYSSEY AND ORACLE album listed on Popsike saw it sell in the $50 range:

http://www.popsike.com/The-Zombies-Odessey-And-Oracle-Rare-Original-Cdn-Press-Date-Tes4013-Psych-Lp/291130396930.html

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=Odessey+And+Oracle+canada&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=0&y=0

US pressings are all over the map, from less than the above Canadian pressings to as high as $215 for an unplayed mint copy from earlier in 2014.

Hope this helps!

NEAL

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2014 - 05:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Neal,

I can't remember where I read this, but one of the price guides I've had mentioned the opposite. They made it seem like in a lot of cases that Canadian pressings were of a higher quality.

Maybe they meant a specific time period or particular labels......?

Anyway, should a collector pretty much avoid Canadian issues due to the sound quality?

Thanks.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2014 - 07:24 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

MACKDADDY

I live in the Pacific Northwest and for years I was a regular at the record collectors swap in Kitsilano, Vancouver, BC. Canadian pressings ALWAYS sold for about 2/3 that of US pressings of the same title.

Of course, that was 20 years ago and the US dollar has plummeted in value while the Canadian dollar has held onto a bit more stability.

So, I take back what I said to Sandwich71 above, as I have not taken into account the change in currency exchange.

As for quality: another rule-of-thumb that many Canadian pressings were inferior to US -- when pressed by Canadian plants!

So, when buying a valuable Canadian pressing with the intent to play the record, do some research . . .

Hope this helps!

NEAL

Last edited by nealumphred on Jul 02, 2014 - 11:02 AM; edited 1 time in total

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 05:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Interesting! I'll keep that info in mind.

Thanks, Neal.

Jump to: