The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hood1982Offline
Post subject: Rolling Stones "Shelly Mix"  PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 05:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I couldn't guess how many copies of Hot Rocks I have seen. I ALWAYS check for this mix every time I see this album. Today I had five minutes to spare so I ran into my local spot to flip through the new arrivals and run right back out. There was nothing that grabbed me but there was another copy of this record there. I actually thought naaa he would miss that and didn't really have much time but I couldn't help myself. Pulled out the 2nd lp and it was actually the 1st sides. Aggravated that people do this all the time I slid it back in and pulled the other lp. Flipped to side 4 and there it was SHELLY!! My heart fluttered as I looked for the all important date and BAM 11-18-71 !!!! All I could think is pay and get out before anyone thinks anything about it. On the way to the counter the owner owner happened to join us at the register !! I figured he might wonder why I would buy this when I just sold a double not long ago BUT thankfully a simple hey there was all and I paid 9.99 and was gone. When I finally got home and dropped the needle there it was, the alt. take of Wild Horses!!!! Finally all the searching has paid off and I own a Shelly Mix Hot Rocks. Thankful I took that couple of seconds to pull out the lp now hahaha. The lps are NM- with the original sleeves and the cover is VG ....all for $9.99. Way to start the weekend!!!!!
Curious as to how many people here have a copy of this.

Last edited by hood1982 on Dec 13, 2013 - 06:06 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 05:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nice find,Hood !

I have the one with Shelly in the dead wax,but not with the date or the alternate take. Very rare,indeed.

hood1982Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 06:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thank you Sid! Here are the matrix #'s to my copy in case anyone is interested...

Side 1- XZAL 11015 Shelley (in script) Sterling (stamped) 2 LH

Side 2- XZAL 11016 Shelly (in script) 11-18-71 Sterling (stamped) 3 LH

Side 3- XZAL 11017 looks to ba a HL scratced out 3(in a circle) Sterling (stamped) 3 LH Shelley (in block)

Side 4- XZAL 11018 Shlley (in script) 11-18-71 Sterling (stamped) 2 LH

All 4 sides also have a backwards S also Notice that each Shelly is a little different in some way, either writing or spelling !!!

plasticmanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice score I tired along time ago at looking at every single copy I came across in the wild.Bought home a NM/NM copy last year for $1 just as a cover upgrade it sat in my New Arivals a few months before a friend pulled it & asked if I had checked for the "Shelley mix" No was my answer so he looked and sure enough I had finally unknowingly found one. I don't think they bring the money they used too but that bother's me none for I would never part with it.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 10:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

according to CF they're selling for around 100 bucks now, usta bring closer to 200 in vg+

hood1982Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 - 11:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice find plasticman, especially NM for a buck ..WOW.

Wurlitzer I was surprised and disappointed to see that too. I remembered the GM price at $1000 nm but never checked to see the auction sales since I'd never found a copy. Not what I expected to see....

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 - 11:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Goldmine prices are almost worthless. Usually really high, but can be very low.
Never found one.
And I don't know about that $100 quote. That is for the seller that might not have much feedback, and/or in a hurry. Check completed listings on Ebay. You can do better then a buck if you are patient for a NM Copy. Not that you want to sell.

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2014 - 11:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On ebay, they seem to go for around $30; in real life, I saw one at the WFUV Record Show going for $100; don't know if he sold it. Me, I found one in Boston earlier this year and was psyched - until I discovered it was TWO side3/side4 records in the sleeve (one the rare Shelley, one not), so now I need to find a side1/side2 Shelly record for it.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 - 07:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

^
There is not one that has sold on Ebay in recent completed listings for $30. Not one.
Also check Collectors Frenzy, I didn't bother with popsike since the prices will be very high on many listings.
Maybe the seller at the WFUV was the one that got $300+ a couple weeks ago.

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Dunno what to tell you, Vinylhound. I just looked and you're right, but back in late April when I found my Shelly pressing, I got on ebay to find out the going price and there was at least one that went at that price if not more. That's the last time I checked it until now.

Jump to: