The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mary-ROffline
Post subject: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 - 02:43 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

As with some folks I have just inherited a bunch of old records. They are not the flexible vinyl I used to play when I was younger so after doing some research I think they are what is called shellac. Regarding labels I've got some columbia (red labels, blue labels), rca victor, victor. I have been trying to find out how old they are and since I am not finding any dates on them I have been doing some online label comparison but haven't yet found any with the codes one of mine has. Columbia Masterworks MM 603-1. There are lots of label variations but I'm not finding any with the MM letters.

What I have seen so far all the records I have are classical. I'm not figuring I have a treasure trove but would like to know how old they are. Does anyone know about this label or can point me in the right direction?

thanks
Mary

[/img]

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 - 11:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://majesticrecord.com/labelscolumbia2.htm

It may not give exact dates, but should get you in the ballpark, at least for Columbia. I wouldn't get to hung up on the exact age, it's all about the music and the condition. Age doesn't equate to demand/value at all.

Szigeti is certainly a name to look for, but the devil's in the details....

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 - 06:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

That label is from the second half of the 40s. The record would have probably been made between 1945 and 1950.

Such sets are usually of no commercial value, Those who collect classical 78s are looking for rare solo artists, usually from a much earlier period. A unique copy of a 78 from 1931 by a notable pianist or cellist is the kind of thing that gets them interested.

ShellackyOffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 - 07:59 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Set mm-603 was advertised in Life magazine in the spring of 1946. I agree that there it probably has no street value.

Mary-ROffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 11:55 AM
Level 1
Level 1

thanks all for your replies

"Szigeti is certainly a name to look for, but the devil's in the details...."

are you referring to the grading aspect?

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 12:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's the whole gamut. Condition is paramount, but it's also who the performers are and what piece is being played...& then you can get into label variations etc..
Popsike.com and collectorsfrenzy.com are sites that catalog ebay sales and are great resources for determining collectibility.

Mary-ROffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 06:56 PM
Level 1
Level 1

awesome! thanks for the links. I've kind of shied away from selling vinyl because of the grading and one persons opinion differing from another's but here I find myself with records again. So maybe I'll get my feet wet. (I have listened that these probably have no value)

Do record sellers normally listen to every record before they sell it?

Mary-ROffline
Post subject: RE: old shellac 78 columbia label ID for age of record  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 08:05 PM
Level 1
Level 1

"Do record sellers normally listen to every record before they sell it?"

I found the record grading page so have the answer to that.

Jump to: