The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alfeizarOffline
Post subject: Re: Promo records from outside the US  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 - 07:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ShadySam wrote:
alfeizar wrote:
... the big amount of official radio statios that were in the US compared to other countries.

damn, "Why Can't I Go Back?" (The Grodeck Whipperjenny; People Records...1970?)...ha-

I wish just 1/10th of some of those dinky stations still existed- they went the way of the drive-in...
I mean, there was structured, and non-structured formatting once. Believe it or not I can
still remember this one AM station that, for all it's fidelity limitations, sounded so badass...
I look back in fond retrospect, and wow wuz there some righteous underground/non-commercial
stuff to be heard. I'm betting all my favorite songs were all white label promos being spun.
True WLP's hit the disc jockey first, I'd bank on itt. I've snagged a few where, I just couldn't
believe how good the sound was, versus just a visual inspection of the grooves... Smile

A badass sounding station, right on!!! Cool I guess that most of the magic that those radio stations had were lost along the way, how people find news, music, and general entertainment has changed quite a bit. I only have a few WLP and besides all the background they have, whats nice about them is that you can be certain that it wasn't played to death and always in a good TT, which is not that common with rock records

Reply with quote Back to top
infiniteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 12:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Other country's have promos just like the US. The reason you do not see them very often is that the number of radio stations and retail outlets is much smaller therefore the number of copies pressed is also much smaller. Records that are given out for promotion are either labeled as such or marked in someway to prevent their being returned back to the company for credit. They also need to keep them separated from clean product to prevent paying royalties to the artists and composers. From the UK I used to get a lot of white label and test pressings. In America I might have hundreds of a title in promo in Europe 3 to 5 copies. In the US the labels used promos in large numbers to raise money off of the books to take caré of radio programmers and music directors. They would offer trips, drugs ect.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: