The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2014 - 02:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wand, hope everything really turns out well for you.

Reply with quote Back to top
heyjoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2014 - 06:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wand, your story is familiar to me after a bank merger--two years of no benefits contract employment with convincing promises followed by every form of discrimination you can name--age, sex and diversity and a final layoff when the financial collapse came. I have Obamacare now, paid COBRA for 18 months, them bought an expensive individual policy. I don't know if it's any good and don't want to find out. BUT, I learned how to turn records into a business. And took early retirement...hang in there!

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 - 06:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, I've got 18 years of work left in me before I'll be forced into retirement so I'm just past the halfway point (my first full time job was 29 years ago) and if I can coerce some employer into looking past the grey in my eyebrows and the extra "smile lines" (not to sound vain, but I still look pretty good for my age) I might be like my dad and get lucky with a decent full-time job that will hopefully stay permanent until I choose to leave. He got lucky, scoring a real good factory job (he was a tool designer) at age 48 and maintaining it for 16 years before getting a "golden parachute" of juicy benefits. HOWEVER, that was in the 1990's and I think we all know that's a sort of a decade we may NEVER see the likes of again, economically speaking.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2014 - 07:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just read in USA Today that layoffs are at their lowest level ever since 2007 and that more companies are either hiring or retaining employees. Now, if they could all pay us more of a reasonable salary, everything would be groovy. Someone else said that - based on the average worker's needs and debts - the average STARTING salary should be $22 an hour. I could go for that - it makes my $15 / hour look pathetic, and that's the highest rate I've EVER had.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 - 02:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The thing about those stats, are the hirings temp, part time or seasonal? Also, could they be like Circuit City where they let people go and had them reapply for their jobs at lower pay? I assume that the jobs are in this country?

Anymore, I just don't trust the statistics.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2014 - 05:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Really, the best way to see how the country's going is to be part of the situation. If or when I get thrown back into the lion's pit of having to look for work, I'll find out just how hard up the full-time permanent workforce is for help. I got lucky with having only five weeks of unemployment last time and that was probably because the service I got hired to was REALLY enthusiastic about my background. How enthusiastic? My interview was held on a SUNDAY!
Still, I'm not proud of a record that reads, like, a year here, two years there....my resume' is such that it no longer lists the nine years I worked for a bank (basically, the whole of the 1990's) and it just makes me look like a job-hopper. Well, I am, I guess, but it's involuntary.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2014 - 03:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On your resume, could you divide the job history into temp service and permanent, allowing you to emphasize the banking job and the fact that you are not a job hopper?

On another note, the news today stated a higher than expected GDP report, yet I recall an article many months ago about a new method of calculating GDP that was to be implemented. They were going to add estimates of research and development. Though, I think this will inflate the figure since companies already factor this in.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 06:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Aside from a couple assignments, all my temp jobs led to full-time employment with that company, so I sort of wrangle that into the "time with the employer". Even if my current assignment doesn't pan out to a full-time position with the corporation, it's a guaranteed job through January of next year so listing "2013 - 2015" with the service won't look too bad.

Jump to: