The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Miggysvinyl
22 Post subject: Jimmie Rodgers - Master Disc???  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2014 - 09:37 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I made a purchase of a lot of records & tapes at an Estate sale. In that lot I found a vinyl disc that I think is a "master" but I'n not sure what it is.

It has a name "Jimmie Rogers" I believe the name was spelled wrong it should read "Jimmie Rodgers" One of the songs on it is "Blue Yodel"

Can anyone tell me what I have?

Thanks

Miggy's Vinyl

IMG_2016.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.84 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.57 KB
 Viewed:  244 Time(s)

IMG_1979.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Jimmie Rodgers - Master Disc???  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 - 12:55 AM
Level 5
Level 5

That is pretty interesting...but typically those "audiodisc" recording blanks are home recordings;
It may have been recorded from the radio, what's the sound quality like?

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 - 01:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Home-recorded discs, are you sure it's vinyl and not an acetate disc? Commonly used to record songs from the radio, as well as spoken correspondence letters between family members. Every once in a while though, the version recorded off the radio is a different version than the commercial release - performed in the studio, live or recorded during a special session, for instance. But usually just a poorly recorded radio broadcast on a format that doesn't hold up very well to time and repeated play. I just passed on a boxful of these a few days ago - might be some interesting things in there, but it's usually a long shot to find something good, playable and listenable.

PS - It used to be fun to pull snippets from Auntie May's biscuit recipe, or Grandpa's violin solo, from discs like this to use as segueways on mix tapes. Back when people still had the ability to play the mix tapes you made for them.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've collected dozens of home recordings over the years and a few I have found turned out to be homemade dubs of existing records. Usually the "engineer" holds the mike to the speaker of another record player and records from that. This is probably the case as the Audiodisc label didn't come into being until the mid-1940's, making it unlikely that your disc would be, say, the original "Bristol sessions" version of "Yodel".
But, hey, the next time a bunch of these records come up for sale, grab them. More often than not, they will be unique, even if the condition (or talent) isn't the greatest.

Jump to: