The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sb11
Post subject: L'Anse, MI St. Vincent de Paul Store find.  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 10:45 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I was recently in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on a working holiday with my wife. I had a job just north of the small village of L'Anse which is west of Marquette and southeast of Hancock / Houghton. I finished my job and we stopped at a small local restaurant for lunch and across the street I spotted the local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store. I immediately smelled vinyl. I got the Mrs. to give me a hour to snoop around while she took in the sights. I entered and was directed to a small pile of LP's near the back of the store which consisted of, mostly, Christmas collections with some decent, but not scarce, late 60's early 70's era country albums. I grabbed a few that interested me in my allotted time and headed for the cash register. I paid for my items and headed for the door. As I was walking out, there sitting on a table looking like a glowing Holy Grail, were two 78 album sets of Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Album titled Yodelingly Yours Jimmie Rodgers and Yodelingly Yours Jimmie Rodger, Volume 2. I dropped the bag of my other records in the back seat and with my wife's eyes rolling I headed back in and bought both for $1 each. I opened them in the car and discovered the previous owner had mixed and matched 78's although I did find that I was the new owner of two Jimmie Rodgers 78's including an RCA Victor Blue Yodel (T For Texas) backed with Away Out on the Mountain and Never No Mo' Blues backed with Daddy And Home. I also found two Ernest Tubb 78's on Decca with You Hit the Nail Right on The Head backed with Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right and Though The Days Were Only Seven backed with You Won't Ever Forget Me. There was a Mac and Bob 78 on the Conqueror Label with Does True Love Live Today backed with Two Little Girls Loved One Little Boy. Also a Gene Autry 78 on the Montgomery Ward label with Whisper Your Mother's Name backed with My Carolina Sunshine Girl, ironically written by Jimmie Rodgers. There is a Jimmie Davis 78 on the Decca label with You Are My Sunshine backed with My Mary. A Rosemary Clooney 78 on the Columbia label with Hey There backed by This Ole House. Finally there is a Paul Whitman and his Orchestra 78 on the Victor label with I Never Knew - Fox Trot backed with Do You Ever Think Of Me - Medley Fox Trot. They are all in V to V+ condition with no skips or jumps but there is background crackle. All in all I think a pretty decent haul for $2. I'm starting to really like 78 rpm hunting.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: L  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 02:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i would have bought the two jimmy rodgers 78s if they were in like new condition and left the rest. unless a 78 is collectable and in most cases in new condition they are difficult to give away. --- right dave?

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: