The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
j_loopOffline
Post subject: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2014 - 11:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Did they ever produce fake stereo albums even when there was a true stereo available? I've always been under the assumption that when I see a Duophonic (or whatever) it was because there was no true stereo available. Now I'm wondering if they made fake stereo and true stereo versions of some albums? Pet Sounds is what comes to mind, but I'm not sure of the history behind that. Appreciate any light shed....

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 07:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think it happened quite a bit. "She's A Woman" by the Beatles comes to mind. A true stereo version exists. However, if I recall the story correctly, Capitol wanted to get that product out there asap. They had a mono mix, so they mixed it into rechannelled stereo, and that's how it went out on the Beatles '65 lp.

Having said that, I actually prefer that version. That was the version I heard for a long time, and I think it gives the track a garage rock kind of sound to it.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 - 12:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So it was just the one song on that album that was rechannelled? Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened more often (and I'm not limiting this question to just Capitol)...it's just that I can't think of any. I hadn't even considered only part of an album be rechannelled though.
Cheers!

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2014 - 07:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

j loop, many of the Rolling Stones hits from the '60s were released in the US as re-channeled stereo but there were true stereo mixes of those tunes released elsewhere around the globe. Examples like - The Last Time, It's All Over Now, Mother's Little Helper, etc. I didn't hear the true stereo mix of Satisfaction until sometime in the late-1980s.

MikeyOffline
Post subject: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 05:19 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Apart from the reasons stated above, re-channelled or fake stereo was created to take advantage of the looming stereo market when only mono recordings were available. This was done by playing the mono tape into two channels of a mixing console and EQing (equalising) each channel differently. For example, mid frequencies would be boosted to emphasise the guitar in the left channel and lower frequencies would be boosted to emphasis the keyboards in the right channel. Now, each channel sounds different giving you some "space" between your left and right speaker.

The worst example of this practise is on some Led Zeppelin bootleg LPs where the left channel contains the mono recording and the right channel contains and EQ'd version with all the bass and treble removed so as to emphasise the guitar. This is almost unlistenable.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Mikey wrote:
... This was done by playing the mono tape into two channels of a mixing console and EQing (equalising) each channel differently. For example, mid frequencies would be boosted to emphasise the guitar in the left channel and lower frequencies would be boosted to emphasis the keyboards in the right channel. Now, each channel sounds different giving you some "space" between your left and right speaker....
I have a Dave Clark 5 LP on US Epic, where a different approach to "electronically reprocessed" was taken: one channel had a slight (perhaps -second) delay in the audio signal compared with the other. This is totally unlistenable, and unlike EQ'd 'separation', combining the channels to mono doesn't help. The best the listener can do is listen to one channel only.

MikeyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 06:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

A delay? That sounds nasty.

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 09:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

analoog, I have RCA Victor reissues of the Dukes Of Dixieland album originally released on Vik Records in the 50s. It has slap-back delay added to one channel. And Mikey....yeah, it does sound nasty.

To make matters worse, there are 3 different covers for the album. The RCA covers are fairly similar but the Vik cover is completely different featuring a pic of the band.

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fake Stereo and True Stereo?  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 01:08 PM
Level 5
Level 5

^^^^^^^^^
Was Vik a "mono-only" label?
I've been trying to run down a stereo copy of Marty Gold's "Wired for Sound" (on Vik) for years, and... no luck.

Jump to: