The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jmillsOffline
Post subject: Aoxomoxoa  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2011 - 09:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I recently picked up a copy of the Grateful Dead's Aoxomoxoa. It had the green label, but without the W7 Seven Arts. It wasn't until I started reading up on the album that I discovered that it had been released with an original mix in 1969 and a remix in 1971 (and that the original mix has never been reissued, due to the tapes being lost).

I thought I had the original mix, because remixes were supposed to say on the back cover "Remixed September, 1971", and mine did not. However, when I listened to it tonight, it was obviously the remix (the most obvious difference is the lack of an a cappella coda on "Doin' That Rag"). So, here are my questions:

1. It's obvious I got a remix in an original cover. Besides finding a W7 Seven Arts label, is there a way to make sure whether a record has the original mix without listening to it? Is the RE-2 in the dead wax the tip off?

2. Any opinions on which mix is better?

3. Has anyone else ever heard that Courtney Love is on the back cover? That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Aoxomoxoa  PostPosted: Jan 06, 2011 - 06:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jmills wrote:

3. Has anyone else ever heard that Courtney Love is on the back cover? That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.

That sounds just nuts, but it's apparently true:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=25777

jmillsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 01:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So at the flea market today I find a copy of Aoxomoxoa and it's on the W7 label. But when I get it home I look closer and it has RE-1 in the deadwax and on the label. However it has the a cappella end to "Doin' That Rag", so it's the original mix. So the lesson here is just because you find a copy of Aoxomoxoa that says RE-1, that doesn't mean it's the remix. A W7 label should indicate an original mix.

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 11:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
'RE' following the 'dead wax' matrix no. ordinarily indicates a recut master disk.

Something I learned not too long ago...

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2014 - 01:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Jmills, that was a really nice haul 2 weeks ago, congrats man!

Jump to: