The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sb11
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 - 07:34 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I picked up an 78 rpm EP today at a church rummage sale on the Popular label with the catalogue number being PO - 27 and PO - 28. It has a light, Manchester City, powder blue label with black print. There are two black lines on either side of the spindle hole. The songs are: Side 1 - Peggy Sue, Raunchy, Great Balls of Fire and At the Hop. Side 2: Kisses Sweeter Than Wine, Oh Boy and April Love. I have no idea who the artists are performing the songs. It's in fair condition with a skip or two in spots but mostly it plays decently with crackle prevalent throughout. On a positive note it did come with it's original outer paper sleeve. It only set me back $0.50 so I grabbed it with full knowledge that I had nothing to lose. I've checked google and Discogs with no success as to who made these and how they came about. Anybody have any knowledge on this obscurity? Thanks in advance for any input. I tried loading a picture to no avail, sorry.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 - 11:42 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It's probably a budget label production done by unknown studio musicians. I have a number of similar 78s from the fifties. Not the original artists singing the big hits but some of these records are pretty good.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 - 05:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I agree with the last line. The Holly / Crickets covers usually stink but I have come across a couple budget versions that actually rock.

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 09, 2014 - 09:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Don't know the background on this one, but they were usually cranked out and sold cheap. You bought it thinking you were getting the actual hit- "Getcher copy of copy of "Can't By Me Love" by the BEAgLES for 39 cents!!!. There's a multitude of labels that were involved in the game. Promenade, Tops, Hit, Popular, Country & Western Hits, Worthmore, Dixie, Blue Ribbon, Gilmar, Giant. Tracks sometimes got recycled between labels like George Jones's version of "Heartbreak Hotel". Band names got recycled as well ("the Jalopy Five", "Leroy Jones"). Actor Scatman Crothers cut a ton of these tracks back in the 50s and many of his are actually neat.

Scatman's take on "Transfusion"… not on the level of Nervous Norvus, but neat anyhow…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdeYZS5s3tY

George kicks in halfway through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMR_Ft1Sd4

Very few of these budget label releases have any value whatsoever.

The exception is Herbert Hunter's "I Was Born To Love You" / "Push Away From the Table" on Spar. Original tunes popular on the Northern scene that at one time would cost you a couple of week's wages. I don't think anything else by Herbert is worth a nickel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJoxbpf_wQw

WOFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2014 - 09:28 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Lonestar, I appreciate you comments on Scatman Crothers. I really like his tracks and have 3 or 4 of the Tops 78's, 2 of the Tops 45 ep's, and his album on Tops. If anyone here would have something of his they want to sell I would be interested.

WOF

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

What I love about the budgets is the number of stories that have popped up over the years like who's on them and who actually isn't. The common rumor that the Hit version of "Keep On Dancing" by the Gentrys is "the rare alternate version" or "the Youngstown label version" is false - first of all, the "Youngstown version" is exactly the same one on MGM (I don't have it, but a friend does and he confirmed it); second of all, the label goofed in naming the group. And I have the Hit version - it sounds NOTHING like the vocal on Youngstown / MGM. Another rumor is that the "Tom And Jerry" on the Bell version of "Baby Talk" is the same pair who later became Simon & Garfunkel. Nope. I have the record, and believe me, neither of the guys on the Bell version sound like the S&G we know (even AS Tom & Jerry). However, I am curious about the Hit version of "Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh" credited to "Dick Martin" - it DOES sound like the Rowan & Martin guy. And I'm also pretty sure that the "Peter Marshall" on the budget version (Bell, I think) of "The Old Philosopher" is the future "Hollywood Squares" host.

sb11
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 - 09:57 PM
Level 4
Level 4

CactusCowboy wrote:
It's probably a budget label production done by unknown studio musicians. I have a number of similar 78s from the fifties. Not the original artists singing the big hits but some of these records are pretty good.

Whoever the band / singers were on these songs did a pretty decent job of it.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 06:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sometimes they try to sound their best, sometimes they're only doing it for the money. I've heard a few where they don't even bother singing the correct lyrics!

Jump to: