The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As Promos?  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 06:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Almost every oddball 45 on the Capitol label - ones which seem most likely to be non-hit - from the early-to-mid 1960s seem to be the thicker print "West Coast" pressing of the stock label, and even my copy of "Little Saint Nick" - which came out of a known radio library - was also a "Westie". To add to the mystery, I recently acquired a full Capitol BOX of 45s - although the box contained more "Westies" - again, all stock copies - the catalog number on the box itself was "7PRO...". Hmm! Since white label promos are either scarce or may not exist from this time frame, did they just use stock label pressings as promos?

Reply with quote Back to top
stephenjayeOffline
Post subject: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As Prom  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've seen several Capitol promos pressed on a light green label; The Stone Poneys' "Different Drum" comes to mind. IIRC it had a "P" prefix to the rekkid # and was labeled a promo. Perhaps Capitol used both methods.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 09:18 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

US Capitol promo-label singles (many colors, not all white labels) that I have seen were pressed at Scranton in the 1950s. By the 1960s all Capitol singles that I have come across were pressed at the Los Angeles factory.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 07:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Is there an easy tell for each plant? Ty-m

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2014 - 10:43 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

See: http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22364

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2014 - 09:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Pretty clear now Annaloog- thanks again.

wand143Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings  PostPosted: Sep 12, 2014 - 05:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
US Capitol promo-label singles (many colors, not all white labels) that I have seen were pressed at Scranton in the 1950s. By the 1960s all Capitol singles that I have come across were pressed at the Los Angeles factory.

By "Capitol singles" are you referring to just promos or all Capitol singles in general? Because my original point was that it seems like there's a "break" in the time that Capitol was using true "promotional copy - not for sale" pressings, sometime between 1963 (my guess - the white label with blue print) and 1967 or so (greenish-yellow with black print) and that I had theorized they used stock "West Coast" pressings as promos to send to radio stations.

Jump to: