The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LoriParkerOffline
Post subject: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.'s and Son of Jazz at JJ's  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 09:32 AM
Level 1
Level 1

We inherited a former Columbia Records executive's personal collection about 10 years ago. I have come across two boxed sets titled Jazz at J.J.'s and Son of Jazz at J.J.'s. I am going to attempt to sell both sets, but I am unsure of how to value them.

I came across this blurb about the recording sessions: Jazz at J.J.'s is a 3 Lp Boxed Set Live Session "Jazz At J.J's" recorded in 1965 in a living room in Connecticut [James Dunn] and only a small amount of these were pressed mainly for the people that attended the session and some Jazz fans. They were never released under a record label. The band includes Buck Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Tommy Newson, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Hank Jones and Osie Johnson. The Box has great photo's of all the musicians and a flyer that has has more photo's and notes on the session by George Avakian.

Son of Jazz at JJ's a slightly later recording session with a different group of jazz musicians. This 3-record set is "Son of Jazz at J.J.'s". The jazz artists are: Bernie Leighton on piano, Benny Morton on trombone, Charlie Shavers on trumpet, Tommy Newsom on tenor sax, George Duvivier on bass, Howie Collins on guitar, Gus Johnson on drums and Jimmy Hamilton on clarinet.

The records themselves look as if they have never been played, but the boxes and sleeves do show aging and yellowing. There is even a business card from James J. Dunn [J.J.] Advertising Sales Director for Life Magazine inside. He later became the Publisher of Forbes Magazine until his death in 2002.

I have only seen two auctions for these sets. One where the first set sold for $100 and the second where the second set was listed for $300.

Your thoughts please?

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.'s and Son of Jazz at JJ's  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 12:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

LoriParker wrote:
I have only seen two auctions for these sets. One where the first set sold for $100 and the second where the second set was listed for $300.

Bear in mind those sales were in '05 & '06 when records were commanding better prices. The lack of other sales records makes me think they're not recession-proof, but maybe some jazz experts on here knows more about these sets. Are you thinking auction/ebay or local sale?

LoriParkerOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 01:56 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Auction most likely, not sure whether to use ebay or discog.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2014 - 11:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Discogs doesn't have an auction function that I'm aware of. You can put them together in one listing on ebay which, I feel, would help maximize profit.

LoriParkerOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.  PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 - 04:10 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Any idea on what I should start at and a reserve?

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm in the camp of "your starting price is your reserve," but I will admit starting at 1 can drum up some attention. That being said, if these were mine, I'd start them both together at $100 with no reserve.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Boxed Sets Jazz at J.J.  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2014 - 06:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As maybe an alternate- I would put them up seperately. $100 is a threshold that some buyers won't cross. The couple of bundled items I have sold- it seemed to depress what the lot sold for. Gl- M
Ps- Hi JL

Jump to: