The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 03:36 PM
Level 2
Level 2

ewington wrote:
info on Joe Dean very easy to find on Google:

http://www.wirz.de/music/deanfrm.htm

http://jrock.com.ar/?name=Joe_Dean

Thanks for the reply...but I already saw that info.

At this point, I am interested in confirming whether anyone has ever seen Joe Dean's 78 with a Brunswick label, or only with a Vocalion label. I have seen a few references to him doing the recording for Brunswick, but the copy currently listed on Ebay is a Vocalion.

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 04:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I can't give you facts, but, if you're willing to take the opinion of a record collector of about 35 years I'd give an educated guess and say that it was never issued on Brunswick. Brunswick owned Vocalion and because he recorded the session for Brunswick doesn't mean it would have to have been released on the Brunswick label. Dean's record might have been released by any label Brunswick had owned or had a deal with to release records.

rooster

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 04:36 PM
Level 2
Level 2

rooster wrote:
I can't give you facts, but, if you're willing to take the opinion of a record collector of about 35 years I'd give an educated guess and say that it was never issued on Brunswick. Brunswick owned Vocalion and because he recorded the session for Brunswick doesn't mean it would have to have been released on the Brunswick label. Dean's record might have been released by any label Brunswick had owned or had a deal with to release records.

rooster

Thanks for the info & opinion Rooster. What you said sounds reasonable. Regardless of the value or asking price this does seem to be a rare record. Nobody seems to have a copy except the seller on Ebay. Maybe that's why he is asking so much money for it?

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 08:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Be careful not to confuse "Scarcity" with "Rarity". Just because there aren't many copies available doesn't mean a record is worth anything. it might be or it might not be. You may be right about the ebay seller asking 50,000 dollars because no one else has one for sale. As a record seller once told me as I was looking at some 78's, "Those are worth a lot of money...They don't make those anymore".

rooster

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2014 - 09:06 PM
Level 2
Level 2

rooster wrote:
Be careful not to confuse "Scarcity" with "Rarity". Just because there aren't many copies available doesn't mean a record is worth anything. it might be or it might not be. You may be right about the ebay seller asking 50,000 dollars because no one else has one for sale. As a record seller once told me as I was looking at some 78's, "Those are worth a lot of money...They don't make those anymore".

rooster

I do understand what you mean. However, maybe the copy on Ebay is the last surviving copy. It's been up there for a while, and no more copies have surfaced. I have contacted some university archives with large holdings of records I found on Google, and came up negative on all of them. I don't want to pester dealers, and have not contacted any yet. Maybe some of them will see and reply to this thread?

The owner of one of the websites mentioned previously in this thread http://www.wirz.de/music/deanfrm.htm cleaned up the images from the Ebay auction, as he did not have images of this record. You can tell by the wear on the label. He does say on his website that he cleans up the images of labels to make them look nicer. His website is a good resource and fairly thorough.

Once thing is for sure, "Scarce" or Rare" it probably won't be any easier to find this record in the future.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2014 - 05:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's true due to the fragile nature of the record, plus over time the availability of such a record (potential sources getting dumped as just a lot of 78s, for example) is going to shrink. But even Robert Johnson 78s weren't worth $50,000 right off the bat and there's definitely a higher demand for HIS stuff - and despite the high demand, copies of his records haven't hit the 50K mark yet. And maybe it IS the last surviving copy...or maybe a mint box of the things are siting in the basement of a former record store (it's a possibility - one dealer I know has seen such a "time capsule" but the owner refuses to sell the lot claiming he wants to use the stuff for a museum).

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jukejointblues wrote:
rooster wrote:

rooster

I do understand what you mean. However, maybe the copy on Ebay is the last surviving copy. It's been up there for a while, and no more copies have surfaced. I have contacted some university archives with large holdings of records I found on Google, and came up negative on all of them. I don't want to pester dealers, and have not contacted any yet. Maybe some of them will see and reply to this thread?

The owner of one of the websites mentioned previously in this thread http://www.wirz.de/music/deanfrm.htm cleaned up the images from the Ebay auction, as he did not have images of this record. You can tell by the wear on the label. He does say on his website that he cleans up the images of labels to make them look nicer. His website is a good resource and fairly thorough.

Once thing is for sure, "Scarce" or Rare" it probably won't be any easier to find this record in the future.

In the end it might behoove you to contact John Tefteller, if you think you really do have something and he'd probably be the last word on it.

This is his website:

http://www.tefteller.com/

At the bottom of the page is all of his contact info (including his Phone #). By all accounts, he's a straight shooter and won't try to rip you off or lowball you on the relative "value". Take a look at his "Museum of The World's Rarest Records". He has some impossibly rare things on there.

It might be worth taking a look.

rooster

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2014 - 01:39 AM
Level 2
Level 2

rooster wrote:
Jukejointblues wrote:
rooster wrote:

rooster

In the end it might behoove you to contact John Tefteller, if you think you really do have something and he'd probably be the last word on it.

This is his website:

http://www.tefteller.com/

At the bottom of the page is all of his contact info (including his Phone #). By all accounts, he's a straight shooter and won't try to rip you off or lowball you on the relative "value". Take a look at his "Museum of The World's Rarest Records". He has some impossibly rare things on there.

It might be worth taking a look.

rooster

Thanks for the reply and info.

Dr.DarkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 12:01 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Jukejointblues: With your name you had better posted your question in the Guild's Blues section of the Forum and gotten quicker response. I remember the Blues Unlimited item about the man - it was called "Joe Dean from Bowling Green".

JukejointbluesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 02:31 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Dr.Dark wrote:
Jukejointblues: With your name you had better posted your question in the Guild's Blues section of the Forum and gotten quicker response. I remember the Blues Unlimited item about the man - it was called "Joe Dean from Bowling Green".

Thanks for the reply and info. Already knew of the article.

Except for the copy of this record on Ebay, there are no others I have been able to track down. The price the seller is asking is way out of my budget, so I have moved on.

If you know of any other copies that exist, or any newly found info on Joe Dean please reply with a link. More out of curiousity than anything else.

Jump to: