The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
geo58000Offline
Post subject: Allman Bros. RCOA  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2014 - 10:25 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I picked up a NM- copy of "Allman Brothers at Fillmore East" on the pink Capricorn label today for $1.99 at a thrift; this LP books around $50-$60 for a 'normal" copy, however my copy, if you read the fine print is a Record Club Of America issue. The thing is, it is actually pressed by Presswell. It has a RCOA sticker on the back of the jacket, and a small print "Mfg'd by Atlantic for RCOA" on the label.
It sounds damn nice.
Does the "RCOA" designation de-value it?

Reply with quote Back to top
CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 11:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nobody pays $50 for this anymore. Most go for around $20 and many can be had for less than $10. Scoring one for $1.99 is nice though.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: Allman Bros. RCOA  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 11:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

geo58000 wrote:
Does the "RCOA" designation de-value it?

With this band and this album I'd say you're on the cusp of as-much-as-stock and getting a slight premium for it. It might sit on a shelf a little while longer to get any more than a stock copy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. No actual experience with this album though, just my opinion. And only for an original copy. If it was a record club version of an 80's reissue it would probably de-value it.

geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Allman Bros. RCOA  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 10:00 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I went by popsike sales for pricing; I should've checked ebay before posting.
Still, the pink label issue sounds so much better than my previous copy, a tan label Warner/Capricorn pressing.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Allman Bros. RCOA  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 - 11:45 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

j_loop wrote:
... If it was a record club version of an 80's reissue it would probably de-value it.
IIRC Record Club of America had no affiliation with any of the major record labels, and sold 'regular' (retail) stock copies of LPs rather than copies mfd. expressly for record clubs.

Jump to: