The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
barkingcat1Offline
Post subject: Columbia Records Test Pressing  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2014 - 09:17 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I've got this White label test pressing 45 rpm (it says "Test Pressing " across the label). it has two horizontal black lines on both sides. Santa Maria is the pressing plant in California. I looked up what I could about that using the numbers in the dead wax. I got nowhere. It was pressed in 1976. It's a male singer with a full rock/soul band singing "down by the riverside" and "America The Beautiful". In "America" he kind of talk/sings in different language dialects like German and Cajun. The dead wax info is: Z 55161562-1D.
Thanks
I've been gone a couple of years from the group but now I back!
Bill Scoggins Cool

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Columbia Records Test Pressing  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 11:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Charlie Rich?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rru2e0fYWGI

That doesn't jive with Columbia or the deadwax info, but I have no idea if CBS/Epic would have out-sourced the pressing to Columbia for whatever reason.

barkingcat1Offline
Post subject: RE: Columbia Records Test Pressing  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 01:39 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks J loop. You hit the nail on the head. Now would it have any value? That version of Down by the Riverside is pretty rockin'. America The Beautiful - I guess it's a bi-centennial thing. Laughing

barkingcat1Offline
Post subject: RE: Columbia Records Test Pressing  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 01:47 PM
Level 1
Level 1

It was released as Epic 50222 in 1976 Confused

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Columbia Records Test Pressing  PostPosted: Oct 01, 2014 - 11:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

barkingcat1 wrote:
Now would it have any value?

Test pressings are collectable, but this doesn't appear to be an artist/record that would command big money. If it has an alternate take or different mix (and you can confirm this) it would certainly add to the value. Incidentally there are 2 for sale (by the same seller) on Discogs http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3004266?ev=rb
But they're obviously not selling. I think $10-$15 is a more sensible asking price.

Jump to: