The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
motown_jazzOffline
Post subject: Does anyone know anything about this Gene Harris?  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:51 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I have this album, Our Love is Here to Stay, which was issued on the Jubilee label in 1955. But this guy ain't the Gene Harris of Three Sounds fame. I can't find anything on this guy anywhere, other than the fact that he called his group The Gene Harris 3. Can anyone shed some light on this guy for me?

our love is here.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.02 KB
 Viewed:  518 Time(s)

our love is here.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
bubba louOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 03:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is the Gene Harris of Three Sounds fame. The album was recorded after he was released from the army and before the formation of The Three Sounds. Our Love may have been pressed more than once as I have seen a couple of label & wax colour variations over the years. Sells for decent money on ebay these days.

Rooster, a human jazz encyclopedia & member of this board, may be able to provide you with a little more information.

Hope this helps.

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2014 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hey, Bubba Lou, Thanks for the pat on the back!!! It's nice to feel needed and loved... Laughing

And so...

AAaaaahhh, the mysterious "Gene Harris Trio". Well, we can be sure that this IS indeed THE Gene Harris (as Bubba Lou pointed out). The story (as related by Gene Harris' wife, Janie) goes that Harris was sitting at a Japanese Jazz club, between sets and this LP comes on over the PA system. Gene exclaims "Oh my god, this is the first album I ever recorded, right after I got out of the army" the club owner brought him an LP to sign and it was that album, with the tinted cover photo of a beach scene. I suggest we can take Janie Harris at her word.

The mysterious part is that there was a second LP released by the Jubilee label in 1959 as by "The Gene Harris Trio" entitled "Genie In My Soul" with a different Bassist and Drummer. Janie Harris said that she always assumed that this was also by her Gene Harris, but she never confirmed the fact with her husband. The problem with this second album is that it doesn't really sound that much like the Gene Harris we know. It also has a picture on the back cover of a white man and a Bio that is clearly NOT Gene Harris' Bio. Those collectors who argue the second LP is our Gene Harris have pointed out that if these tracks were recorded very early in his career, it's entirely possible that he would have sounded different. It is said by these pundits, that Harris' sound naturally would have matured as time went by. In addition, the idea has been put forth that the cover photo and Bio were a ruse perpetrated by the powers that be at Jubilee to keep The Lion (Alfred Lion) at Blue Note off their backs since Harris was gaining notoriety on the latter label. Both points are well taken and, of course, quite possible. Both Gene and Janie Harris have shuffled off this mortal coil, so we can't ask them directly, unfortunately. For myself, I tend to think that, possibly, the second LP is a different "Gene Harris" and Jubilee was cashing in on the "Real" Gene Harris' burgeoning success.

I leave it up to the Jazzers to contemplate.

I hope this helps out a little bit, Motown_Jazz. And I hope I've lived up to your faith in me, Bubba.

rooster

motown_jazzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2014 - 01:13 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Okay Rooster. I never thought that it was him. That doesn't even sound like him on the piano. Well thank you for your response. And thank you too Bubba Lou!!!!

Jump to: