The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2014 - 09:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jmills wrote:
I've loved pretty much everything I've read by Neil Gaiman (keep an eye out for his short stories collection), but American Gods is my favorite. The kind of sequel, Anansi Boys, was good also.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking out for anything else by Gaiman. Since my post I actually found a copy of the author's preferred text for American Gods, so I picked that up and am going to finish the book from that point on in the new version; nicer looking book and font and the content might be slightly improved with the appendix and interview in the back. I also picked up a paperback copy of Neverwhere from the same thrift.

Reply with quote Back to top
wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2014 - 08:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just recently found (and quickly finished) Bob Eubanks' book, "It's In The Book, Bob!" Some terrific tales of his days in radio and concert promoting - even the days when he was doing Country artists made for entertaining reading. I'm currently in Sid Caesar's 2003 autobiography - it's a lot "nicer" than his 1970's vintage book, "Where Have I Been?"

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 24, 2014 - 05:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nobody's read anything in the last 5 months? Picked up Keith Richards' "Life" at a flea market for $6.50 and it's taking me two weeks to get through it...like having him sit at a pub with a few pints between you (okay, me with the pints, him with the Jack Daniels) listening to him tell all these great stories.

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2014 - 06:32 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm always reading something, but I haven't read anything music or entertainment Industry-related in quite some time. Currently, I'm reading a book named,"We Were Soldiers Once...And Young". It's about the first major battle in the Viet Nam War that used the newly formed Air Cavalry in the Ia Drang Valley. History is one of my many and diverse interests. Apparently this was turned into film, but I don't watch many movies anymore. so I can't comment on that aspect. I will say that as detailed as the book is, the film must have cut a fair bit of the story out to fit into two-hour time limit of most modern films.

rooster

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 28, 2014 - 02:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Rooster, good pick. Try to grab Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson...maybe the best Vietnam novel I've ever read....

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 - 06:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On Saturday I went thrift shopping with my older daughter and I scored "The Making Of Star Wars" by J.W. Renzler - it's pretty fascinating for a former film major's reading. And my daughter did pretty well, too: a couple books in the "Cinderella Cleaners" series and her own copy of "The Hunger Games".

Jump to: