The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LsciomOffline
Post subject: true promo record ?  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 10:01 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Question, going over some vinyl recently purchased, few stamped promo on jacket upper left rear. The label itself is free of any promo markings, is this a true promo lp ?

Thanks in advance

Reply with quote Back to top
anthonyvpOffline
Post subject: RE: true promo record ?  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2014 - 10:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Designated promotional record. I have many of the stamped records. white or off color label with promotional statement usually true promo records.

LsciomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2014 - 09:17 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you.

webkrawlerrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:25 AM
Level 2
Level 2

To be clear, here is the difference.

A TRUE promotional record is one that was labeled as such and used for those purposes.

A DESIGNATED promotional is no different than the stock version except for a promotional stamp or sticker.
Some people would stamp a stock record "promotional" and try to pass it off as a true promotional record.

Record collectors do not consider stock pressings or releases with merely a "promotional" stamp or sticker
as a real promo.

I do, however, have once exception to this rule in my collection, although some agree with me and others do not.

http://clzimages.com/music/users/large/14/14_1544407_0_BeatlesThe_BeatlesPressConferenceA.jpg
and
http://clzimages.com/music/users/large/f3/f3_1544406_0_BeatlesThe_BeatlesPressConferenceA.jpg

I don't have images of the picture sleeves which is where the importance is.
This was a numbered release of I think 2000 records. Not really valuable. About $7 to $10 for NM give or take.
One of the sleeves has NUMBER: 1201. On the PROMO one, it says NUMBER: PROMO
I have checked and rechecked and I do not believe the sleeve has been modified or changed in anyway.
Since, 2000 were released commercially (stock copies) and my promo has no number on it
(meaning it was never meant to be a stock copy) I consider this a TRUE promo. Take it as you may.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2014 - 06:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

webkrawlerr wrote:
... A DESIGNATED promotional is no different than the stock version except for a promotional stamp or sticker.
Some people would stamp a stock record "promotional" and try to pass it off as a true promotional record....
Depends on your definition of "true". Stock copies rubber stamped "PROMOTIONAL" or "DEMONSTRATION", and those with covers printed in gold ink, were certainly considered by the record companies to be promotional copies, not to be sold, and thus not eligible for royalty payments to the artist.

The distinction between 'real' promotional copies and designate promos is only in the eye of the collector.

webkrawlerrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2014 - 08:48 PM
Level 2
Level 2

[The distinction between 'real' promotional copies and designate promos is only in the eye of the collector]

This is of course, very true as with most things.

anthonyvpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2014 - 10:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

IMHO...NOPE ! Must be printed on the label. ALL other prrinted stamps or sickers are able to be added at anytime. Would you like me to turn all your reccids to a "promo" ? No problem.

Jump to: