The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cutterOffline
Post subject: About this Forum  PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 - 07:17 AM
R.C.Guild-A
R.C.Guild-A

Hello all,

After repeated questions on the subject of transferring vinyl music to compact disc, we have decided to establish a special forum to discuss this "Hot Topic".

Feel free to ask a question or offer some sound information. The posting of images, pictures or complete articles on this subject is encouraged and appreciated.

Regards,
cutter

.... for the betterment of record collecting

Reply with quote Back to top
Dino1956Offline
Post subject: NO ANSWER  PostPosted: Dec 14, 2004 - 09:33 AM
Level 3
Level 3

Cutter,

I have posted 2 questions and have not got a reply on either. I also sent you an email. If you could please take the time to answer my question with your expertise on the subject. It seems no one is replying to my posts. Thank you!

Here is my Problem:
Analog Plus Recorder from Microsoft, anyone? It's really easy to use but when you set the Auto Levels, you need to keep the Line In Level at about +2. This is fine except when I compare my recordings to other MP3's I have, the sound is a little lower in Volume and it just doesn't have as much presence ! I tried disregarding there Auto settings and putting my Line In Level at 3/4 up, not paying attention to the possible overload of meter warning and the result is still the same. Maybe I'm being too picky. The sound is clear and the pops & hiss are gone but when I play in my Car or home stereo, I have to crank the volume louder to compensate. Btw, I'm recording LP's using the tape monitor out from my reciever to the Line In of my sound card. 2 RCA Male Phono to 1 Stereo Male Mini. Thanks in advance !

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 05:22 AM

This is a normal problem. I guess you compare the sound of your recorded music with an newer album which is compressed (try searching the forum for compressed and "newer albums").

The best way to fix this is by using an normalizer. Those usually will crank up the volyme to max for each track without causing clipping. THIS IS A BAD F**K**G NORMALIZER. You want one that will preserve the "feel" of the album (some tracks being louder, some tracks being quieter), and hopefully, you want all your albums to have about the same volume (this is particulary useful if you wanna make a mixed cd, or put your computer on shuffle).

So why screw up all your music with a normalizer you ask? Becuase there are good normalizers, which takes inte account the album as a whole, and so forth. Look at http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/

For a player with this kind of normalixer built in (and a recorder plugin, for recording cds, and a writer plugin for making a harddrivecopy in more formats than any program I've seen: foobar2000, problem is, it doesn't skin! Very Happy )

Dino1956Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 08:01 AM
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for all the info. I have Sonar which is a Recording program, I'm sure it's Normalizer is far Superior to the Microsofts Analog Recorder. I will probably use Sonar instead. I will check out that link as well. Thanks !

Jump to: