The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 02:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

That is nice ecclectic. Very Happy

We should post the grading scale and your explaination on another thread in this forum so new members and visitors won't have to muddle through this thread to find it.

Scot

Reply with quote Back to top
Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 02:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah, it definitely deserves its own forum. Nice work, ecclectic (and Scot)!

By the way, I was thinking that instead of VG++, EX, NM or a scale of 1-10, how about A, B, C, D?
A being a great LP (NM), B being a nice, playable copy without much surface noise, C being playable, but with lots of surface noise and scratches, and D being an LP that is trashed or which has skips.

EcclecticRecordsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 02:53 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I'm casting my vote for sticking with the current vernacular along with conditional codes. I believe that no matter what initial grading you use (VG++, B or 9), you still need to identify WHY.

I might be more open to purchase a rare album that has 2 or 3 small or light scratches versus a album that has one longer (or deeper) scratch even though both may rate a VG+ or VG++. I'd also be more open to a small seam split over light ring wear. Again both conditions may rate the same...

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 03:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Uncle Hippie wrote:
A being a great LP (NM), B being a nice, playable copy without much surface noise, C being playable, but with lots of surface noise and scratches, and D being an LP that is trashed or which has skips.

This is kind of how I grade records in my collection for myself. Laughing I think many collectors and especially sellers would be inclined to start adding +'s and -'s.
I've been collecting seriously for almost 4 years and I am still not comfortable with giving a visual grade. (Therefore I use play grades on the few albums I've sold)

I think a large scratch (the old back of the fingernail test) should take more off of the value than a light one. Several light scratches should knock a grade down further than a few light scuffs. A skip should definitely knock the grade down considerably. I suppose the test would be whether or not it is likely to effect play.

If most sellers and collectors would still be more comfortable with a G, VG, VG+,EX (VG++?) NM rating it could be kept. By noting how much common imperfections would knock the rating down using whole or 1/2 points then rounding to the next grade

Scot

Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 03:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah, those darned pluses and minuses would probably start creeping in again. Mad

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 05:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

EcclecticRecords wrote:
I dont mean to get off the Grading Scale track, but I was asked by a seller about the "RCG" code I put at the end of my feedback him/her. I just wanted to share my response to the seller. I am planning on keeping it and using it as a canned explanation in the future...

RCG stands for Record Collectors Guild (www.recordcollectorsguild.org). This is site for record collectors that I've recently joined. There has been some discussion on their message boards recently (particularly the e-Bay Related Questions baord) about differences between the many grading systems used by sellers on eBay.

The question came up about how members can comment on a seller's grading without using negative or neutral feedback. The point is not to tank a seller's feedback ratio but to give other members honest information about our experience with the seller's product.

The RCG code (as we've started calling it) is used to comment on the seller's grading of the vinyl/cover. This, of course, is based on the opinion of the buyer. The scale runs something like this...

1. Record no where near sellers grade.
2. Record slightly less than grade
3. Record accurately graded.
4. Record slightly better than grade.
5. Record much better than grade.

Anywhere from 2-4 is acceptable with 2 and 4 being used for very small differences (I.E. VG++ versus VG+ or NM- versus VG++).

If I listed the transaction as RCG-2, then I believe that the product I received was slightly less than it was graded in the eBay ad (in my opinion). It still means I'm happy overall (or else I would have contacted you directly). I can't really comment on the specific item without knowing which item this feedback was for (I buy alot...).

I invite you to check out the RCG site and participate in the ongoing discussion. A seller's view would be great to have.

Feel free to email back with the item info and I'll explain further why I gave it a 2 instead of a 3. Thanks.

Excellent! What was his response, if there was one, and what rating did you give him?

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

EcclecticRecordsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 06:02 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I rated this particular item a RCG-2. The vinyl was graded pretty accurately. My problem had to do with the presence of seam splits (about 50% of the seams were split). Otherwise the cover was NM- as advertised.

It is possible that the seams were split in shipping. The LP was shipped in a padded (or bubbled) envelope with no cardboard fillers to take the brunt on the edge bumping and what not.

The seller was more curious about the whole RCG thing than anything. He/She did make it very plain that there was no intention to deceive. I tend to believe him/her. I'd definately do business with this person again in the future. However, I'd ask for any specific defects.

greyhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 08:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Before I found the Guild, I had no idea there was a grading system for records. I had catalogued my collection on a spreadsheet and rated each on a scale of 1 to 5 (similar to Scotapell's system) with 1 being trashed to 5 the equivalent of NM. My purpose was solely to identify which records I would want to upgrade, should I find duplicates in better condition. I rated the vinyl only and not the jacket, since the purpose of my collection is to listen to the music. Having a good cover is nice, but the vinyl is key. I don't even care if it's the 1st pressing, 12th pressing, British, Canadian, US or whatever. If it sounds good, it's in my collection. At some point in the future, when I've stopped "accumulating"
and decide to refine my collection a bit, I may go back and regrade my records using the Goldmine system. But for the time being, my system works for me and I'm happy with it. (Actually, I'm a lazy SOB and don't feel like regrading nearly 2,000 records!) Should I sell or trade any, naturally I'll attempt to grade them fairly using the standard (?) system.

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 09:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

We all have our own grading system for our own records based on our own ideals. We also have the luxury of play grading our records.

The goldmine system doesn't lend itself well to on line purchasing sites such as ebay or gemm where you are left to trust the sellers judgement completely. In stores or fairs you can actually see the album and judge for yourself.

Sellers who feel they have a record that while not NM is certainly better than VG+ are stuck with either leaving it as VG+ or adding "in between" grades themselves. This is confusing as a buyer because so few post what their grade actually means and even then so much is subjective.

As a buyer I would like to see a system that allowed for these grades while applying conditional standards similar to the current goldmine system with certain flaws causing automatic grade deductions.

Scot

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 09:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have a few records that I feel are in between VG+ and NM. They may have one tiny little defect that doesn't affect play at all, or perhaps just a small indention on the label from a spindle.

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

Jump to: