The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 09:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nitro,
Ignoring the whole "book value is what you'd expect......" for a moment. Under the current grading system that one inaudible inperfection has dropped the book value of your record in half. It's understandable why some sellers will make up their own grades.

Maybe we should work on clarifying these grades that are already in use?

Reply with quote Back to top
NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 09:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

In the Goldmine 3rd Edition (no offense, Neal) Neely kind of hints that a record can be NM with a tiny defect. I kind of feel that way myself, having opened a 180gram Dylan Highway 61 the other day and it had a surface blemish (scuff). On playing it, the first song on side 1 had a skip (played it 3 times, worked ok then). 3 other songs had very noticeable defects, almost a skip, more definite than a small click, but not a sharp sound like a click. I would rate something like that as POOR, even though it was new. If a record plays like new (no background noise, crackle, pops), and doesn't have anything terribly defacing(writing, torn label, major fading), it should be NM in my book. I bought one record (new) back in the 70s that would not play one song at all. So appearing new and/or being sealed don't guarantee a good listen. There are bad pressings, and I believe the Dylan is one of those. Maybe it was one of the last of a run with worn out plates.

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2004 - 12:05 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Uncle Hippie wrote:
... By the way, I was thinking that instead of VG++, EX, NM or a scale of 1-10, how about A, B, C, D? ....

The problem (or challenge, if you like) as I see it is, any grading system, while concise, will always be ambiguous. When attempting to convey in words a record's condition to a potential buyer who can't examine it himself, a grading system is not sufficent by itself. The seller should describe accurately all visible faults. In many cases, someone who buys records at retail won't be able to audition the record till he takes it home anyway, so a visual grade and extended description should be sufficient in most cases -- a play grade would be a plus.

EcclecticRecordsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Ok. I'm thinking that maybe we should elect (volunteer) someone or even a committee to actually begin writing this grading system. The doc sould include some examples and/or pictures of the different conditions and defects (such as slight versus moderate ringwear).

Until we get an initial draft to haggle over, we will be making suggestions til the cows come home. I really would like to see this conversion have a result and not just die out...

------

Just my three cents worth (inflation...)

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2004 - 05:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

How about

A (Mint) (sealed only?)
A- (NM)
B (VG++)
B- (VG+)
C (VG)
C- (Good)
D (Poor)
F (Fair)

No one will want a D or F anyway.

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2004 - 05:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

oops, reverse the D and F

D (Fair)
F (Poor)

magic1313Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2004 - 06:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am a casual seller of lps and 45's and the occasional 78 and I was wondering is someone could just take a look at some of my postings and give me suggestions for making my auctions more, I don't think desirable is the right word but I can't think of another one, to the more serious collector. I have had some success while selling and have had several go for several hundred dollars but was wondering what I could do to better my listings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My seller ID is mmmm13

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2004 - 06:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Magic,
I can give you my opinion as an ebay buyer. (also mostly casual)

Good;
I like you format. It's straight forward and to the point. All the pertinent info is there (You may want to list matrix #'s also) The cat #'s in the item listing are also nice. Probably more likely to attract serious collectors than words like "WOW" and "ULTRA RARE"

You seem to be sticking to the standard grading system. I'm sure it's frustrating to see records graded VG++++++++++++++++++ selling.

I really like the label pics. I find labels are about the best way of gaining an idea of over all wear without actually seeing the record.

I also see you play graded some of your records you thought may be questionable. I don't know your schedule buy I think it would help to play grade all or atleast offer a play grade for interested buyers.

Bad;
You seem to have a standard minimum bid for most records. I think the more common a record the greater the price drop for a VG or VG+ record becomes. If it's easy enough to find a NM copy most collectors are willing to pay for it.

I saw one single listed as VG+ that seemed to have more than a few light scratches. Scans and pics from digital cameras aren't really the best way to judge this by, but usually less show than more. (Once again, what constitutes VG+?) I think a play grade would be more assuring that they didn't effect play.

I see most your auctions seem to be ending during the week. Judging by the amount of listings ending on Saturdays or Sundays, usually early to late evening. I have to assume that there is some monetary benefit to this.

I'm glad to see some sellers have taken some interest in this post as well as buyers.

Scot

magic1313Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2004 - 09:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

thanks for the feedback. I should probably mention it in my listings but I am always willing to play grade or take additional pictures upon request. I try to play grade most of them even if only for a minute of the song but as I am sure you know it can be tedious. Is the matrix number the one in the dead wax aand where can I find the cat #. As far a a set starting price I do not always know what is rare or not so Unless I know it has value I start it at my best guess for a price. If it doesn't sell I lower it. It is just a coincidence that these auctions end on the weekend. I usually just post records when I have the time. I recently got close to 600 45's and am sure will be posting these for quite some time. I think I will try to get through a chunk of them before I go back to selling lps although I might throw one in hear or there. I appreciate your feedback and anymore would be appreciated. Don't hold back when criticizing my listings as all the info will help me in the future

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2004 - 09:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yes, the matrix is the dead wax #'s. These can help identify specific pressings. Sometimes there are dates or other markings that will help determine pressing dates. The Catalog number is the number on the label.

You may also offer combining shipping. You can send a few lps and several 45s for the same rate as one. This may help attract bids on other records and save you time packing.

Scot

Jump to: